Driftwood Found At The Beach

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by RyleighJ, Apr 10, 2017.

1. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

Today I went driftwood hunting and found a ton at the local beach. However, I have no clue what's safe to be use and what isn't. How do I tell? And is it all safe to use if I boil it to death?

I also noticed some of the pieces I got are a bit crumbly (e.g. flecks of wood come off into the water). As long as I soak it to the point that this doesn't happen anymore, is it still good to use?

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Using beach driftwood is always a sort of a gamble. There is always the possibility of introducing parasites to your clean tank!

However, if you still want to try it, give it a THOROUGH scrubbing with an old toothbrush all over and "boil it to death" on the highest temp you can. I've read some people put it in their dishwasher cycle without the soap (of course). Let it air dry and boil again (to be safe). Dry again and rinse well with dechlorinated water.

As for crumbly question, it may be a matter of how old the wood it or the type. Eventually, all wood will deteriorate away and those bits may be reaching their time! Agitating the pieces off, through boiling, may help, but it still may crumble.

3. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

After a bunch of big bits came off of it I gave up on that piece lol.

Is there any way to know if it's safe before putting it in a tank with fish? Probably not, but no harm in asking!

4. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

At most i give it a hose off to get rid of and sand and crumbly bits and throw it in my tank. And diseases or parasites will be marine ones and will die in fw. The ones that weren't already killed by baking in the sun and drying out.

Ive never had any parasites, diseases, or rotting wood after 17 years of using beach driftwood just throwing it in the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    RyleighJ

It did come from a river beach, though. Am I still alright to just go ahead and use it (after a brief cleaning)?

And what tips do you have for getting it to sink? Right now I have a piece soaking in a bowl of water, but three days later and it's still floating (and I'm so impatient :p)

6. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I'd give it a bit more of a clean then.

For sinking it, put it in the tank. Put a rock on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice