Driftwood Forming Fungus Like Mold... Again???

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
hey all! It’s been a minute since I’ve been on this forum... everything in my tank is going extremely well... those little pesky worms have been eradicated and just disappeared on its own (yay!) but now there seems to be something strange going on in my tank.

For a couple of weeks now, a piece of my driftwood has started to form that mold ... this time it’s not white, but darker in color... almost like a grayish/black. The tank has been running January and I already went through the whole fungus/mold on all my driftwood (that white film that takes over the entire driftwood). So I’m not sure why it’s happening again... I do have a nerite snail who most likely munches on the wood while moving along but it’s strange considering that the fungus/mold is only happening on one side and on one piece (I’ve got 4 pieces in the tank). I have noticed that another piece has started to form dark spots but when I brush it, it goes away only to come back again... I know wood starts to decay over time while submerged so I’m wondering if that may be the cause...

Anyone else experience this? Do I need to worry about it?

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Most mold is harmless to fish, most likely the snails will enjoy it. It’s one of those things that you kind of have to get used to and it may eventually go away. I had the same thing happen on all my real wood.

TankGeek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Unless your wood is a soft wood variety or was already rotting then I shouldn't think it would be decaying like this already.

I would be leaning more towards brown diatoms. In a new planted tank with driftwood, you tends to get the white fungus first, and then when that dies off you get brown diatoms. Again, it should die off on its own in time, especially as the tank matures and stabilizes. The more plants you have the better and quicker this should happen.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unless your wood is a soft wood variety or was already rotting then I shouldn't think it would be decaying like this already.

I would be leaning more towards brown diatoms. In a new planted tank with driftwood, you tends to get the white fungus first, and then when that dies off you get brown diatoms. Again, it should die off on its own in time, especially as the tank matures and stabilizes. The more plants you have the better and quicker this should happen.
I have a ton of live plants and have had them since the tank was set up in January. It’s just a little concerning because it’s only happening to one piece of driftwood besides the black spots on another piece of wood (I only have spiderwood in my tank and they’re not extremely thin pieces).

I do take the spiderwood out to scrub and it isn’t soft by any means. The snail isn’t touching it from what it seems because whatever it is continues to grow and I have to manually clean it.

My water parameters are excellent in terms of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph. I have brown diatoms that sit on the surface of my sand and on top of my plants (which I clean once a week to get rid of) because I do not have enough water movement as I have baffled it for the sake of my betta but this black fuzz has caught my curiosity. Hopefully it’s nothing to worry about and will go away.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If your tank is big enough get a BN pleco. Mine is always on my driftwood. That's her main hangout.
I wish I could! It’s only a 6 gallon so the snail and betta is at max occupancy lol.

I was able to take some photos as I let the fuzz grow out again... this is what it looks like now... it has turned from a grayish/black to a lighter color... the snail hasn’t touched it at all.

715594E6-7B3F-4E2B-A037-1A53E7BAAFEE.jpeg
297D6C98-EEC8-41A0-950B-CD84D955A8A2.jpeg

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lol the title of that video is awesome. Thanks. However, this piece has been in the tank since the day the tank was up and running. It has gone through this phase once before. I don’t know why it’s doing it again.

Ryuki

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I boiled my new piece of wood for hours and left it in a chillibin for days with hot water and still got this. Im not touching it.
20191101_101923.jpg
I guess it will go away.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I boiled my new piece of wood for hours and left it in a chillibin for days with hot water and still got this. Im not touching it. View attachment 632630I guess it will go away.
It happens will all new pieces, it will go away. Mine took about 2-3 weeks until it disappeared. The one I was concerned about (in my initial post) still is growing black mold though but it’s gotten better than what it was.

Shannon529

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It happens will all new pieces, it will go away. Mine took about 2-3 weeks until it disappeared. The one I was concerned about (in my initial post) still is growing black mold though but it’s gotten better than what it was.
Is the black mold as safe as the white stuff? I'm in the same boat with my newest tank. New piece of driftwood has white stuff like in the Youtube video, and my old piece of driftwood, which never had any issues, is now growing black mold. I rather not take them out if it's safe, but thought about putting the mystery snails in there. You said yours didn't touch it? Maybe I won't then. Newest tank is somewhat open in the back and I'm not ready to search the house for escape artists lol. Hope it clears up faster for you!

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
this time it’s not white, but darker in color... almost like a grayish/black.
If it has hair sticking out then that is second state of decay...as long as it is not back black like black algae then it is ok..My is happen same thing but algae fish wont eat that like ate clear gel white stuff before.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom