Driftwood for pleco?

cjde

MacZ

For some species it is, for others it is not. Depends completely on what species you have.

cjde

I’m not sure what species. Guessing salicin. He's about a year and I can count about 13 rays on the dorsal.

A201

Looks like a Common or Sail fin Pleco. If he's made it a year w/o driftwood, safe to say DW is not needed.

cjde

A201 said:
Looks like a Common or Sail fin Pleco. If he's made it a year w/o driftwood, safe to say DW is not needed.
Thanks. Figured he’d be bigger by now, though.

kallililly1973

Nice looking fish! Even if it’s not required it’s always nice to see some in a tank just for the more natural look but that just might b personal preference

cjde

kallililly1973 said:
Nice looking fish! Even if it’s not required it’s always nice to see some in a tank just for the more natural look but that just might b personal preference
Thanks! Learning as I go along with these two.

PenguinTetra38

Not a necessity, but they will definitely thank you for it!

MacZ

Sailfins are not specialiced wood eaters but are a species for which driftwood would be optional. So ultimately your choice.

A201

Commons & Sailfin Plecos grow really big for aquarium fish. Slow growth is a good thing sometimes.

AcornTheBetta

cjde said:
I’m not sure what species. Guessing salicin. He's about a year and I can count about 13 rays on the dorsal.
Just out of curiosity, what size tank are these fish in?

cjde

AcornTheBetta said:
Just out of curiosity, what size tank are these fish in?

Kribensis27

That pleco will outgrow a 75 for sure. Especially with an Oscar.

AcornTheBetta

cjde said:
Is there any way you can upgrade or rehome the pleco as sailfins need at least a 100g and probably a 120g with an Oscar bare minimum. Common plecos need even more.

cjde

AcornTheBetta said:
Is there any way you can upgrade or rehome the pleco as sailfins need at least a 100g and probably a 120g with an Oscar bare minimum. Common plecos need even more.
I will be upping to 125 soon.

kallililly1973

cjde said:
I will be upping to 125 soon.
More and more often its becoming that people will derail threads. I already seen it ready to happen as soon as someone asked the tank size. Keep to your original question about the DW. Just my .02

cjde

kallililly1973 said:
More and more often its becoming that people will derail threads. I already seen it ready to happen as soon as someone asked the tank size. Keep to your original question about the DW. Just my .02
No problem. Thanks.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom