Driftwood For Lowering Ph

Andres Perez

Hi, I just got three small pieces of driftwood from a mangrove area right behind where I live, for lowering the pH in my aquarium, I currently have my pH at 8.2 and would like to lower it because in a few weeks I am planning on getting some fish that require a pH of at least 7.0-7.6, and I read online that driftwood lowers the pH but I also read that it needs to be cured and cleaned, and that by doing this the tannins (the ones that lower the pH) would leach out, is there any way I could clean or cure the driftwood without taking out much of the tannins? Do I really need to clean them or do any sort of process to them?(the sole purpose of this driftwood is to lower pH)

gusthehater

You definitely need to cure them. Especially if they are from "nature". You never know what kind of parasites/diseases/fungus they may contain.

ahsan

soak it in boiling water for a bit and use some treatment to kill them parasites and leave it soaked for a few days or weeks. I once made a mistake of adding bog wood without waiting and I could see discolouration of water for weeks.

Andres Perez

O
soak it in boiling water for a bit and use some treatment to kill them parasites and leave it soaked for a few days or weeks. I once made a mistake of adding bog wood without waiting and I could see discolouration of water for weeks.
Ok thanks are there any other effects on the aquarium other than the discolouration of the water?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• irow
  • pH
Replies
Views
DuaneV
  • Question
  • freshwaterninja
  • pH
Replies
Views
2Broke