Driftwood for clown striped pleco

mimianderson

I have a lovely clown striped pleco. I’m looking for wood to help my pleco thrive rather than as decor. Understand that Malaysian driftwood is one of the best but it’s really hard to get hold of unless I live in Australia or NZ that had a fab online aquarium shop selling it. One recommended product on Amazon unavailable. Apparently you need to be careful about possible chemicals used to clean the wood, one review said their wood splintered in the tank. Plus recommend boiling and soaking to avoid having murky water.
If anyone can confirm to me what wood types clown striped pleco can eat (from research mentions spider wood but Mopani apparently too hard), any recommendation of sites to buy from (I’m in the U.K.) and tips on preparing the wood before it goes in the tank, would really appreciate it!

Noroomforshoe

My clown pleco lived for 11 years with the peace of mopani wood that i still have in the tank. I soaked the wood, i never boiled it. The tanins were mild, and didnt last long.

Upvote 0

Matt11711

I have mopani wood as well. My clown pleco was the first fish in the tank and immediately went onto the driftwood and never leaves. I can't even get it to eat anything else.

Upvote 0

mimianderson

My clown pleco lived for 11 years with the peace of mopani wood that i still have in the tank. I soaked the wood, i never boiled it. The tanins were mild, and didnt last long.
Many thanks. I’ve got some wood in the tank but not sure how keen the pleco is on it. He likes algae wafers, loves bug bites (but heard not good to give too much protein), tried zucchini but not keen so far. I’ve bought some Mopani wood and also Malaysian bogwood. Was going to soak for two weeks. Does it need to be that long?

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

It doesnt need to be soaked at all. But some wood will float until it is soaked. You can put it right in your tank and wait for it to sink, even anchor it down with somthing.
Some wood will leach tanins. One of my mopani branches did not lleak any tannins but the second peice from the same seller did. Tanins are harmless but some people dont like how it looks. so if you dont want the brown water, you need to boil the wood or soak it until the water stays clear.

Upvote 0

Matt11711

Just to add on, depending on your source there is a chance that there are unwanted chemicals on the wood so you probably want to at least give it a good rinse before you put it in your tank.

Upvote 0

mimianderson

Just to add on, depending on your source there is a chance that there are unwanted chemicals on the wood so you probably want to at least give it a good rinse before you put it in your tank.
Thanks for this. I’m going to play it safe (given I’ve had a terrible start and lost fish) and soak for a week then boil for 15-20 minutes. Cool right down then into tank. Bought a piece of Malaysian driftwood off Amazon, good reviews but it’s splintering a lot. I need to see if calms down. But I can see it’s a softer wood for the pleco to munch on. I have fortunately got wood in the tank but looking for better types for pleco (eg Malaysian).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Rick bose
Replies
Views
Pictuscats
  • Question
Replies
Views