Driftwood For Clown Plecos

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by toomanyfishes, May 27, 2019.

1. toomanyfishes

toomanyfishesValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    5 years
    Hi all!

I was just at the local petsmart yesterday and saw a clown pleco. I have a 20 gallon and will be stocking livebrearers and cory cats as well. I would love to have one, but I need these questions answered. 1- What kind of driftwood do they need? 2- Where could I get it? At Petco they have hunks of wood in some tanks and idk if those are real wood or plastic. I have no problem with look as I think wood in tanks make the tank look more natural.

Attached Files:

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,550
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Malaysian & Mopani are dark wood & sink like a rock. Both will stain your water like strong tea for years. Manzanita takes a few days to sink, but won't leach out near as much tannins. Any three of those should keep a Pleco satisfied.

3. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,132
    Experience:
    2 years
    I agree you should look for a piece of manzanita it will float for a few days but will not stain your water nearly as much as mopani.Also if i may add if your loooking for a smaller pleco with more personality that stays smaller ger a rubberlip. the clown i have in my 20 long stays behind my sponge filter all the time where as my rubberlip i have in my 55 is currently chowing on some zucchini and will usually cruise the front glass to say hello...

4. OP
    OP
    toomanyfishes

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    5 years
    Kinda confused. Clown plecos can go in a 20 gallon right? Can a rubberlip be in a 20 gallon? Rubberlips sound more active. The petsmart also has some rubberlips. Would a rubberlip still be compatible and need wood?

I have also read that if you soak wood for a week or several days and change out the water it will sink and not stain. Is this true?

5. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,132
    Experience:
    2 years
    Rubberlips are more personable. Soaking the wood will help it sink but not always get all the tannins out sometimes that can take months depending on the piece. I have 2 large pieces of mopani in an outside 29 gallon and it really stains the water where as i've gotten some manzanita in the past and its released little to no tannins but they were smaller pieces.

6. OP
    OP
    toomanyfishes

Ratings:
    +56
    Experience:
    5 years
    I think I'll head to the local pet stores and see what wood they have, and if they have manzinita or mopina I will get some. I'll provide an update later. Thanks for the help guys!

7. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,085
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You might also find some cypress or mangrove, these often are much better looking than the expensive stuff. Rubberlips don't need wood, Clowns do need it. Personally, I preferred my Clowns to my Rubberlip, because he was aggressive toward everything. I would not trust the Rubberlip with Corys.

8. mdjrnc

mdjrncValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Yes. I have a 29 that is a Blackwater tank set up. My clown pleco loves it. You do need wood and they only get 3 inches or so in total length so they stay really small. Great fish for a 20 gal and up tank. They do hide a lot but are amazing fish.