driftwood cycling process: time estimate?

1. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

Hello there! I just have a quick question; I have a small piece of very branchy grape vine that I plan on adding to a 2.5G nano. Because the tank is so small, I'm a little paranoid about parameters, and am soaking the wood in a bucket of aged water. It's sinking now, and is going through it's cycle (white fuzz and such).

I sort of do need those tannins on the sooner side (my pH is very high, and I use tannins from driftwood to help keep it at an optimal range), but don't want to expose the tank to any more variables than necessary (it's tricky to keep good chemistry in such a little tank). I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons of putting it in while it's still cycling vs. waiting until it's done. The driftwood only weighs maybe... 2-4oz. Any guestimates on how long this cycling process should take?

2. Jayha68 Member Member

The most important step I've read about here is the boiling of the wood to remove anything living on it. I'd boil it, immerse it for 24 hours (in the tanks water if possible in a spare bucket) then add to the tank (but my knowledge is limited but did this with my wood and had no issues and dropped the ph by about .4 in my tank)

3. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

the wood was actually baked, rather than boiled, which is also a valid sanitization method (i ordered it from a fish hobbiest). however, that doesn't prevent the wood from going through it's own cycle when added to the aquarium, since many spores are heat resistant.

I am just wondering how long that cycle takes, since I've never had any of my wood cycle before (it's all just plunked right down in, never needed to soak and never grew anything funky). However, this is also the first time I've tried to do this in a bucket with no snails in it, so it's possible that all my wood has gone through this same phase and the snails just ate everything that grew before I saw it!