Driftwood construction question

Sedna

I'm trying my hand at a more natural looking aquarium for my 20 gallon, and the focal point is to be a nice piece of driftwood. I didn't find the piece I had in mind but, we did find multiple pieces that would pretty much make exactly what I wanted. I've never messed with driftwood, but I have looked into how to treat it before putting it in my tank.

My question is, what would be the best way, and safest way to put this wood together so it stays together? I've seen people use types of glues in tanks, zip ties, ect.

PeterFishKeepin

ive never had to connect pieces, but you can glue, zip tie, weigh down with rocks, bury close to each other in substrate.etc many ways to do it any should work its just about what items you have on hand.

Silverleaf209

I'm trying my hand at a more natural looking aquarium for my 20 gallon, and the focal point is to be a nice piece of driftwood. I didn't find the piece I had in mind but, we did find multiple pieces that would pretty much make exactly what I wanted. I've never messed with driftwood, but I have looked into how to treat it before putting it in my tank.

My question is, what would be the best way, and safest way to put this wood together so it stays together? I've seen people use types of glues in tanks, zip ties, ect.
I used original gorilla glue, after I pieced it together the way I wanted I let it sit for a week then I put it in the water. (WARNING! Make sure the wood is 100% dry before gluing, so soak then dry for a while before starting your project!)

Sedna

I used original gorilla glue, after I pieced it together the way I wanted I let it sit for a week then I put it in the water. (WARNING! Make sure the wood is 100% dry before gluing, so soak then dry for a while before starting your project!)
How did it hold up after? Did you have any that came off? I planned to prep the wood with a soak then bake it before setting it up so I could freely try to see how I liked it before it being together.

Silverleaf209

How did it hold up after? Did you have any that came off? I planned to prep the wood with a soak then bake it before setting it up so I could freely try to see how I liked it before it being together.
It holds up fine, sorry I forgot to add you have to apply pressure to it for two hours, not to where you crush the wood but just it can connect, using rubber bands or string is fine as long as it does not touch the glue!

Sedna

It holds up fine, sorry I forgot to add you have to apply pressure to it for two hours, not to where you crush the wood but just it can connect, using rubber bands or string is fine as long as it does not touch the glue!
Thank you! Do I need to sand the spots that'll touch at all?

Silverleaf209

I did, only to make it connect better but you do not have to!
Do you mind if I see the wood?

Sedna

I did, only to make it connect better but you do not have to!
Mines pretty round all over, without dents so I'll probably sand it some to give it better surfaces for gluing. I wasn't sure if it would matter or help, so that makes sense. I appreciate it. :)

Silverleaf209

Mines pretty round all over, without dents so I'll probably sand it some to give it better surfaces for gluing. I wasn't sure if it would matter or help, so that makes sense. I appreciate it. :)
No problem, let me know how it goes! I hope everything works out okay. :D

Sedna

No problem, let me know how it goes! I hope everything works out okay. :D
I'll hopefully post some pictures of it before I get it in the tank if I remember haha

Silverleaf209

I'll hopefully post some pictures of it before I get it in the tank if I remember haha
That would be good, Good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Salem
Replies
Views
GeorgieGirl1003
Replies
Views
babykitten
  • Question