Driftwood Cleaning?

AquaCaitlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Recently I was at the lake and admiring some of the driftwood. Then I had an idea.
Taking the driftwood, cleaning it, and adding it to some of my Blackwater betta aquariums.

So here comes the real question: how can I clean driftwood?

Will boiling for a few hours, scrubbing with an old toothbrush into all the nooks and crannies, boiling again, than rinsing be enough?

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This should not be a problem, boil it well and clean it as much as you can. If you are worried about carrying snails or eggs you can put it in a potasium permanganate solution like you do with new plants, but boiling will probably kill these anyway . You may need to soak it for quite a while to get it to sink in the tank but you can always attach some weights to it keep it down.
Be aware that Driftwood even boiled and soaked will release tannins into the water which can make it brown and more importantly lower the pH in the tank.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
AquaCaitlin said:
Recently I was at the lake and admiring some of the driftwood. Then I had an idea.
Taking the driftwood, cleaning it, and adding it to some of my Blackwater betta aquariums.

So here comes the real question: how can I clean driftwood?

Will boiling for a few hours, scrubbing with an old toothbrush into all the nooks and crannies, boiling again, than rinsing be enough?
I have seen a lot of people take wood from lakes and make really nice scapes with it. However, I’d be weary of the idea in terms of safety since not all types of wood can go in a tank (some types of wood are toxic). Once you’ve determined what type of wood it is and if it’s safe to use, I’d do as you suggested but I would soak it for a week or so after you’ve boiled and scrubbed a few times just to make sure that everything that was once on the wood is completely dead and gone.

Call me crazy but I have always purchased my driftwood/rocks from my local pet supply store (I’m paranoid about putting unknown types of rocks/wood in my established tank). Some people are extremely knowledgeable about this and can take driftwood from all types of places and use them without any ill effects.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Heron said:
This should not be a problem, boil it well and clean it as much as you can. If you are worried about carrying snails or eggs you can put it in a potasium permanganate solution like you do with new plants, but boiling will probably kill these anyway . You may need to soak it for quite a while to get it to sink in the tank but you can always attach some weights to it keep it down.
Be aware that Driftwood even boiled and soaked will release tannins into the water which can make it brown and more importantly lower the pH in the tank.
Aren’t tannins the sole reason of blackwater tanks? Because I thought that blackwater is produced by excess amounts of tannins from driftwood, Indian almond leaves etc...

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Most purchased "driftwood" is sand blasted.

The stuff out of lakes is nasty, gooey stuff that is full of worms, bugs, wood worms, and miscellaneous invertebrates you don't want in your aquarium...

My kids love to pick up and play with driftwood pieces. They find them in the river and haul them into my boat. They always bring a ton of weird biting bugs, snails, worms, and miscellaneous trash that shakes off all over everything. I end up with creepy crawlies all over the place not to mention a slimed up boat...

If you really want to do it - I would:
Pick a piece out of a river instead of a lake - river current washes off a lot of loose trash.

Gather it off the shore rather than out of the water to minimize crawlies in your hands and car.

Bag it in a trash bag to minimize creepies and goo all over your car.

Pressure wash it when you get it home.

Leave it out on the driveway to dry out for a couple weeks.

Boil it for several hours to kill off all the nasties and then sand blast off all the gooey trash.

Then hope for the best that it doesn't still kill everything.

AquaCaitlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TheBettaSushi said:
Aren’t tannins the sole reason of blackwater tanks? Because I thought that blackwater is produced by excess amounts of tannins from driftwood, Indian almond leaves etc...
I would be boiling it to kill off parasites, even though I would rather have the tannins from it in my tank I can’t risk letting anything else in

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom