Driftwood - Boiling questions...

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by orangeclumsy1, Dec 12, 2012.

1. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

I know that when you get driftwood you're supposed to boil it and rinse it over and over until there's no dye in the water while boiling. What if my piece of driftwood is too big to fit in a pot to boil???

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Boil.the water and pour it into your bathtub? Be careful!

3. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

Or you can just use the hottest water possible from your bathtub. Do that a few times each week and soak in a bucket the rest of the time. After a month or so it should be ready to go. I boiled all of my driftwood at least 10-15 time and soaked for about a month. And it still was giving out tannins. But not enough to affect the tank when I put them in. A little tea-colored water looks natural anyways.

Of course, this all depends on the ratio of water to driftwood. I only have about a pound and a half of driftwood in my 20g, so not a whole lot.

4. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I think people exaggerate the need to boil wood. I have four pieces - two each of Mopani and Malaysian. I boiled each of mine for a few hours, and soaked one of them overnight, but that was it and I never saw any staining.

5. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I soaked my Malaysian Driftwood in warm prime water for 12-24 hours and it didn't have any discoloration in the tank water at all.

6. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

I guess I'll try the hottest water in my tub. :) (If it's that big) Thanks!

7. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

Each piece I have I boiled it an hour and filled the sink with warm water and let it sit for about 4-5 hours giving it fresh water every hour. Then threw it in!

8. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I had a large native piece and I cut the top off of a 55 gallon drum and set that up on the burner for a turkey fryer. I have also built a fire under a metal drum and boiled water that way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice