Driftwood and pH

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Jrobber, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

I have read many different places that driftwood can lower pH levels. I am curious if anyone has seen this. My pH is a tad higher than I would like so I am considering adding a small piece of driftwood bought from the LFS. If the wood does lower pH can someone tell me by how much lower?

I have a 29 gallon tank with fake plants and a few other decorations, so I am considering a rather small piece.

Thanks in advance.

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Driftwood and the tannic acid in it can lower Ph as the tannins leach out into the water. It depends on the type of driftwood, as to how much. I prefer Red Oak wood cause I like the color of the water. The lowering process is slow and with regular water changes it won't keep your waters Ph stable with low Ph. As the tannins get all leached out your Ph will go back up....but it can take months.

A rather small piece in a 29 gal won't help all that much.

If you have access to RO water...that can be mixed in your water changes to lower Ph...but it must be always done or the Ph will flucuate too much....that can be deadly to your fish.

If your fish are adapted ok in the tank, the best to do is to leave it alone.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the quick response, TedsTank. I figured the pH would eventually go back to normal but I was just curious. My fish do seem fine with the pH levels, but not the ICK I am going through. :)

Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice