Driftwood allergy? Experiencing rashes

sonicthehedgehog

I’m having severe itchiness and rashes all over my body and the only thing I can think of is I was aquascaping with newly bought driftwood last night and I had my arms in the water for a good hr or so. I looked up tannin allergy and some posts about red wine allergy (apparently wine can contain tannin from storage barrels) pops up. Doctor cant tell what it is, prescribed me antihistamines.

Has anyone experienced rashes and itchiness from handling driftwood?

coralbandit

Not drift wood but many are allergic to blood worms if by chance you are using them .

sonicthehedgehog

Not drift wood but many are allergic to blood worms if by chance you are using them .
Hmm I don’t think it’s that..I hadn’t fed bloodworms that day and usually am fine using my bare hands to break them apart.

BigManAquatics

May be a good idea to invest in some sort of gloves for tank maintenance.

Cue

What type of wood may I ask?

Cue

My father is a carpenter, he says teak and a lot of other tropical woods never have bug bores in it, and it’s not uncommon for it to cause a rash when sanding it. Teak specifically has oils in it that could definitely be an irritant, although I would expect it to be effecting the fish too?

after some googling I believe it may be a trade name, as I can’t find it. So I wouldn’t be surprised if it was something else. A picture might be helpful…

sonicthehedgehog

My father is a carpenter, he says teak and a lot of other tropical woods never have bug bores in it, and it’s not uncommon for it to cause a rash when sanding it. Teak specifically has oils in it that could definitely be an irritant, although I would expect it to be effecting the fish too?

after some googling I believe it may be a trade name, as I can’t find it. So I wouldn’t be surprised if it was something else. A picture might be helpful…

724885EB-85B7-4A62-99C8-EBA7E0F5207F.jpeg
Interesting. The fish seems fine and all the reviews are so good, but i’m becoming more convinced it’s the driftwood. The itching and swelling is worst on my palms (from handling the driftwood) and the soles of my feet (last night i took a shower in the bathtub where I soaked the driftwood, and the bathtub had brown tannin residue). In retrospect, I probably shouldnt have soaked the wood in my bathtub..

coralbandit

I wood [ misspelled on purpose] not use an oily wood in my tank.
Although in nature I am sure that the eco system can deal with whatever, our tanks can not even come close.
Teak is weather proof like Mahogony and cedar. Not a good choice IMO at all.
Sorry but even if I bought it and learned what I believe I know, I would remove it.
Leave it out in the garden for a year or five and then bring it back to tank maybe .
It leaching tannins is all I need to know I don't want this wood in my tank.
Tannis are not bad .What is in them may be depending on the sp. of wood it comes from??
The fish seem fine, but you have issue.
Observation and correlation need to be combined.
I have been known to be overboard though .

sonicthehedgehog

I think I can clear up the mystery. It seems many, many types of woods are known to cause contact dermatitis in some people. See articles:
Contact dermatitis in a woodworker - PubMed
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0738081X86900659

In particular: “Inhalation of wood particles, especially fine wood dust, as well as direct contact with solid wood, may cause a series of different changes in the human organism among which severe poisoning and wood dermatitis are the most striking.”

I don’t think it’s sap or oils or anything from within—my guess is it’s the wood itself. I’m closely observing my fish. Parameters are returning normal though I realize that may not be dispositive. My fish and snails are all active.

coralbandit

I am a carpenter/ craftsman... 57 years old ..
Not oil but the wood ?
Oil is in the wood. You said Teke correct.... o_O
I use coffee tree for my wood, from South America.
The wood you have is not poison at all, but may irritate some ? What do I know ?
I would not use it ,take it or leave it for what it is, not my fish..

Nopsu

I get the said contact dermatitis from wood dust but have not experienced any with my aquarium logs.. Mine were bought second hand tho so they had been submerged for years before I got them so maybe that's why they were not giving me any issues

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
rainman
Replies
Views
mefinnegan67
Replies
Views
Miaw
Replies
Views