Driftwood Above Waterline

Bluestreakfl

I had a question regarding driftwood that is submerged but partially comes above the water line. I got several sandblasted manzanita branches for my 55 gallon crayfish riparium. While the portions below the water are doing their normal thing growing the white fuzz that eventually goes away, the portions above the water line are getting what appears to be some sort of funky mold/fungus and not the normal white fuzz you get on driftwood that's submerged.

Is this something I should worry about? Will it go away on its own? Is there anyway to safely get rid of it? I had thought about taking the pieces out and scrubbing them real good and maybe using hydrogen peroxide on the effected areas as I know that will rash right off and won't harm anything when it goes back into the water, but I wanted some others opinions first. This is my first riparium, so I've never had this issue before.
CindiL have you ever run into this? I know you're well versed in ripariums.

CindiL

Unfortunately I'm no help here, sorry
I like the hydrogen peroxide idea though.

Uaru22

Greetings , I have had the same driftwood stumps in my 150 gallon tank for 10 years . Sometimes they stick out of the water being that they are really tall ( near the waterline ) I have seen some decay.. but that's a natural thing and it has never caused any issues
Take Care

Bluestreakfl

Greetings , I have had the same driftwood stumps in my 150 gallon tank for 10 years . Sometimes they stick out of the water being that they are really tall ( near the waterline ) I have seen some decay.. but that's a natural thing and it has never caused any issues
Take Care

Decay I can understand being inevitable, but have you had actual mold grow on yours ever? I'm talking spots of fuzz and hair in all shades of green white brown and black, like a piece of bread that's been sitting out waaaaay too long.

Uaru22

No ..I have not had that . I only use very low way lighting in( my tanks -( Amazon Basin ) so maybe that is why I have no algae or such,

stiglitz

Yep, happened to me. Have a pretty large piece of manzanita in my 55 gallon with the tip sticking out of the water for 1week+. Got this weird white fungus growing, that is nothing like the slime on the portion that's submerged. I just used my finger and wiped it off.. Didn't think much of it. Fish are doing fine.. Don't know if this helped but you're not alone on this weird growth haha

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rebsfish
Replies
Views
abarb
Replies
Views
Kathryn Crook
Replies
Views