Drift Wood

1. Princethepurplebetta

Princethepurplebetta Member Member

Hey guys! My parents picked up some drift wood for me and i was wondering how to prepare it to put into my fish tank. Ive never used driftwood before so any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You might need to soak it for a while to make it sink unless it's something really heavy like Mopani. Soaking also helps to get out some of the tannins that will darken your water though those are good for your fish and personally I like the look. Some pieces seem to never sink and those I attach to slate with stainless steel screws.

3. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

Ok thanks, would boiling it do anything? And if it doesnt sink could i attack a rock with aquarium sealant? And what do the tannins do for the fish? I dont think i will mind brownish water if it makes my fish happier

4. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

depending on if you want tannins or not , if the driftwood isn't so big you can boil it for an hour or so and then just put in aquarium

5. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

Ok thank you! Its pretty small so it should fit in a pot (its for my 10 or 5g tank havent decided yet).

6. JesseMoreira06

what fish are you planing on keeping? depending on fish some come from Blackwater areas which would love the tannins while other fish won't.

7. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

The 5g has a betta with swimbladder issues and an african dwarf frog, and my 10g has a betta and 2 snails.

8. Aquaphobia

Be careful though, boiling might soften the wood so much that it just disintegrates in your tank. Tannins very slightly acidify and soften the water and have some antibacterial properties. Bettas are from tannic waters originally.

9. OP
    OP
    Princethepurplebetta

Ok thank you!

10. JesseMoreira06

never heard of boiled driftwood causing it to disintegrate lol I have 7 tanks and every tank has driftwood that has been pre boiled for a few hours and never had anything just disintegrate.

11. JesseMoreira06

quick question do you know how to deal with swimbladder?

12. Aquaphobia

I've never had it happen to me but others here have mentioned it.

Depends on what caused it. Is it an infection, an injury, or a deformity? Does it get better with a change in diet? With anything?

13. JesseMoreira06

I think you quoted the wrong person lol , I asked the OP if they new how to treat swimblader.

14. Aquaphobia

LOL I honestly wasn't paying attention. Obviously:rolleyes:

15. wisegirl

wisegirl Initiate Member

During my research on this very thing I found that some people claim you need to boil (certain types of) wood for a few hours to kill harmful bacteria.

Although, I'm not actually sure if that is necessary. I ended up just washing mine with hot water in the sink, and soaking it in a bowl for about 20 minutes.

My fish seems fine, and levels are all good. Hope that helps.

16. scarface

scarface Well Known Member Member

Never boiled my wood, even one I collected from a river. No issues ever. At most, if I find a wet one, I let it dry in the sun completely for a bit, but that about it. I kind of cringe when people boil wood for hours, but if they haven't had problem who am I to judge.

17. JesseMoreira06

I have the opposite effect , I kinda cringe when people don't boil their driftwood.

18. scarface

scarface Well Known Member Member

Not sure how I'm supposed interpret that response lol. I wasn't pointing at anyone in particular. I suppose cringing is too strong of a word. I just disagree from the majority opinion of boiling every wood you purchase or come across.

19. JesseMoreira06

haha didn't mean in a way to attack you, ment it in a way that I cringe cause I would be scared of any hitchhikers getting in my tank.