Drift Wood

semperfimom

Reaction score
HI all! I have a question again I bought a peice of drift wood today at a LFS. It I believe is grape wood. I've been boiling it now for about 3 hours changing the water at least 4 times. I am now going to soak it for a while. My ? is, Is this wood ok for brisslenose plecs. I am planning on getting them a week from saturday, His shipment comes in on wednesday so I have to wait. I can't wait to get them. I've done my home work so I know these are the ones I want. He tried to talk me into something else but I told him I knew nothing about the ones he had and I would have to research before getting. I think I shocked him LOL. Any ways Thanks in advance
Semper Fi
Julie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most grapewood is sold for reptiles and can be treated with insecticides.If it has been there will be a tag on it saying so. fresh grapewood if not dried completely can rot in your tank.
after boiling check it out, if it's the least bit soft don't use it.
Now after all that I have seen grapewood used very successfully in aquariums and should be fine for the BN's
Carol

ebbandflow

Reaction score
Where can you find a cheap pot that is big enough to boil driftwood? I was caught mid process, about to use one of my mothers pots , and I don't think I'm ever gonna stop hearing about this one :. Any ideas? Cheap and large would be the necessities. Dont need any of that non-stick stuff or anything like that, considering boiling things that I am gonna put in my aquarium is probably gonna be its only use . Thanks ;D.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dollar store, dollar Tree to name two. I ruined a huge soup pot boiling a piece of cedar(didn't know it was cedar DUH), the sap stuck all over the inside of the pot. Thought you would like to hear about one of my many escapades in the fish keeping hobby
Carol

OP
S

semperfimom

Reaction score
Thanks guys! It didn't have a warning on it. I boiled it pretty well. It is sinking so it logged down. I'll watch things closely. I want to have things ready for my additions next week.
Julie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds good, keep us posted. And pics would be nice when you get it all together. ( can you tell we like pictures )
Carol

OP
S

semperfimom

Reaction score
LOL, So do I! Have ton's on the computer. I'll take some and post. I have to send some in e-mails to my boys who are deployed right now, so you will see some. Thanks for all your help
Julie

OP
S

semperfimom

Reaction score
Heres a couple of pics for ya. The wood is still taning out but not to much. If it keeps up I will get a differant peice of wood. Just didn't want to wast the 8.00 I spent. Hope  you like. I'll be getting my brissle nose this week end!
Julie
27.jpg

28.jpg

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the way that looks. Is that pvc pipe rolled in gravel on the left there? very nice!! Most driftwood will leak a litle tannins into the water but the fish won't mind in fact they seem to like it and it will quit eventually I wouldn't waste the wood either. Your bristlenose will love the tank. what other tank mates are in there?
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is a beautiful tank and I like the pipe idea too. It looks like a really neat cave. I see one of your Mollies, and some Platies I believe. Not that I am that great at identifying fish other than the Bettas and Otos LOL. A really fine tank.
How big is it?

Rose

New Threads