Dried Coral: Freshwater tank

1. rg5141 Initiate Member

Does anyone have experience with placing a piece of dried coral in a freshwater tank? I have a beautiful piece but won't put it in unless I can be sure it wouldn't be harmful to the fish in my community tank. Thanks.

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I don't but I remember reading that it is extremely difficult to keep clean and algae-free

3. joanne Initiate Member

i wouldnt think so beccause there is calcium in coral what could be bad for your fish ,u could test it by putting some vinigar on the coral and if you get bubbles ,fizzis or foams it has calcium in it,plus calcium in any rock or coral makes it hard and rough so fish may be hurt by it,but i must agree coral looks good :)

4. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Doesn't coral raise pH? I like the looks of coral in a tank too.

5. Regal Well Known Member Member

It will raise the ph in your tank. In fact, people use coral when they want to raise their ph. Your cories won't like that. I wouldn't do it.

You're already at 7.6 and the coral will probably raise it to above 8. Most fish will adjust as long as the ph stays stable. A better idea would be to add a nice piece of driftwood that will naturally lower your ph a bit.

6. rg5141 Initiate Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep the coral out of the tank.

7. ldbrown3138 Member Member

I've used coral in tanks with guppies, mollies, swordtails and african cichlids. It's really no different than using crushed coral as a substrate. It is pretty but I hope that no one is out buying dried coral anymore. It is a shame that we continue to destroy reefs by this practice. Every piece of coral was once a living being in a very fragile environment.