'Dream' Tank Build

bizaliz3
Fortunately the minI cycle passed uneventfully! I have, however, had some other ups and downs with the tanks.

I had 3 angelfish in my 40 gallon tank and then a lone angelfish in my 17G tank. The lone angelfish was a runt that I got from Bizaliz when I got a couple other angels from her a while back. Fortunately, the runt caught up in size and I felt comfortable moving him to the 125G with everyone else. Unfortunately, he has been a total jerk. He decided to pair up with one of my other angelfish and has been nasty to the other two. One of the other two unfortunately did not make it, even after I separated the jerk into a breeder box. I reached out to Bizaliz because she lives close by and she suggested more angelfish could help disperse his aggression. Unfortunately he was still a jerk so he is back in the 17G temporarily. FORTUNATELY, I have 8 new angelfish

Below are some of the new guys, absolutely stunning fish and I am so lucky Bizaliz lives close by AND trusts me with some of her most stunning fish!

You definitely took home a few of my favorites on Sunday!! Lol And they look great in their new home!!!
It was REALLY hard to part with a couple of them….but I saw how much you loved them and it is so rewarding to see the joy that they bring you! So I just couldn’t say no!! haha And its always nice when they go to a home where I will get to have regular updates!! And I do trust that you will give them the best care possible! I know they are in great hands!!

People are going to read your latest post and be like….. Suuuuuure, Biz was trying to “help” you by suggesting you get more angelfish. Haha But even if you didn’t come to me to buy your new angels, I would have given the same advice. Angels are best kept in groups whenever possible. Unfortunately most average aquariums are not conducive to keeping them in groups. They just simply are not large enough. But a 125 gallon is a large enough tank to allow for that and it really helps to disperse aggression. And not only disperse it, but also minimize it by discouraging breeding.

Sadly…that former runt was just one of those angels that is just a big fat jerk. I have had many angelfish, but only a few over the years that were terrors like the runt was. I am so sorry that raising the numbers didn’t settle him down. I had high hopes that it would. But like you said…it was a perfect excuse to get more!! Haha

I am still convinced it was the fact that he grew up as an “only child”. So he just does not know how to share!!! And that means sharing space and sharing the lady he was attracted to. Or it was small man syndrome. (even though he had caught up in size)

I am sorry that you are probably going to have to rehome him. I know that stinks a lot. But like I said…even the most gorgeous fish can become ugly if they are just pure jerks like that. So the love you had for him previously probably went right out the door when he started behaving that way. Making rehoming a little more tolerable. I can totally relate.

Gabbie
You definitely took home a few of my favorites on Sunday!! Lol And they look great in their new home!!!
It was REALLY hard to part with a couple of them….but I saw how much you loved them and it is so rewarding to see the joy that they bring you! So I just couldn’t say no!! haha And its always nice when they go to a home where I will get to have regular updates!! And I do trust that you will give them the best care possible! I know they are in great hands!!

People are going to read your latest post and be like….. Suuuuuure, Biz was trying to “help” you by suggesting you get more angelfish. Haha But even if you didn’t come to me to buy your new angels, I would have given the same advice. Angels are best kept in groups whenever possible. Unfortunately most average aquariums are not conducive to keeping them in groups. They just simply are not large enough. But a 125 gallon is a large enough tank to allow for that and it really helps to disperse aggression. And not only disperse it, but also minimize it by discouraging breeding.

Sadly…that former runt was just one of those angels that is just a big fat jerk. I have had many angelfish, but only a few over the years that were terrors like the runt was. I am so sorry that raising the numbers didn’t settle him down. I had high hopes that it would. But like you said…it was a perfect excuse to get more!! Haha

I am still convinced it was the fact that he grew up as an “only child”. So he just does not know how to share!!! And that means sharing space and sharing the lady he was attracted to. Or it was small man syndrome. (even though he had caught up in size)

I am sorry that you are probably going to have to rehome him. I know that stinks a lot. But like I said…even the most gorgeous fish can become ugly if they are just pure jerks like that. So the love you had for him previously probably went right out the door when he started behaving that way. Making rehoming a little more tolerable. I can totally relate.
Even though he was a total jerk, I am SO happy it gave me the excuse to get these new angels. I adore them!

His awful personality did make him ugly but hopefully he will find a nice home as an 'only angelfish'!

bizaliz3
Even though he was a total jerk, I am SO happy it gave me the excuse to get these new angels. I adore them!

His awful personality did make him ugly but hopefully he will find a nice home as an 'only angelfish'!

He is a beauty! I'd take him back if I could afford to designate a tank for only him. But I've got too many angels to attempt that! Lol

Hopefully you can find him a great home!

Gabbie
So it's been quite a while since I last posted an update about this tank and A LOT has happened -- as a side note, hopefully everyone is staying healthy and managing to keep their heads above the water during this challenging time.

I had purchased 8 new angelfish, unfortunately I lost 7 of them. 5 of these new angelfish died within the first couple days and I even lost some of the angelfish I had for months with them. No idea what happened, everyone was acclimated appropriately; it was absolutely heartbreaking. The fish came from a friend who I know does not have diseases and I had similarly had my fish, healthy for months.

Fast forward 1 month, I had been wanting to get my hardwood floors sanded and refinished since I bought my house 3 years ago. Original 80 year old floors, gorgeous and covered up with carpet for 50 years and in need of serious TLC. I finally found a company I liked and had the money to do this so that happened in March. This also meant moving the 120 gallon tank -- an absolute nightmare. I thought maybe I could make it easier on myself and put the fish in buckets for a 2-3 hours while I drained the water and used hydraulic lifts I rented to move the tank 10 ft into the kitchen. I rented the lifts so that I could keep the sand in the tank. WELL this did not work and I ended up emptying all the sand out, emergency buying a 55 gallon from Petco, and then starting the tank up a week later after the floors were finished. It was stressful, I lost fish, more heartbreak, and a lot of lessons learned.

Gabbie
This entire ordeal did give me a chance to re-scape the tank -- a small silver lining. To try to ease my broken heart, I did what any normal person would do and bought a bunch of plants, followed by a bunch of fish. I love the new layout of the tank so much more than the old layout. I added a lot of fun plant varieties that I didn't have before and even took the leap into making this a high tech planted setup, save for my basic blasting sand substrate. I am now injecting CO2, I have root tabs throughout the substrate, high powered lights, and am dosing macros/micros via EI. The tank is looking pretty darn good

Here is a picture from a little over a month ago when I first re-scaped the tank and then a picture from today!

IMG_1880.jpeg
IMG_2030.jpeg

mrjohn
Looks awesome! Sorry about all the heartache!

Utar
Now that's something ya don't see everyday, a tank with a freaky looking doll and a 100 dollar bill for a background picture.

Congrats a very good find.

Gabbie
Looks awesome! Sorry about all the heartache!
Thank you! Part of me is happy now that I have this new scape, however, I wish I had not lost so many fish - each one hurts. I lost 10 rummy nose tetras, 5 boesemani rainbow fish, and 2 angels.

Now that's something ya don't see everyday, a tank with a freaky looking doll and a 100 dollar bill for a background picture.

Congrats a very good find.
Definitely creepy setup they had going, I was a little worried that that doll's curse might have affected the tank but so far so good. The tank isn't perfect and there are scratches that you can see when you get up close to the glass but $74 for a 120 extra-long tank with stand -- pretty good!

Gabbie
Speaking of good deals, I actually ended up with my CO2 tank my chance and generosity. A local guy was selling of about 6x 220 gallon tanks all with stands, lids, FX6 filters, and more. I explained I had this new tank and wanted to know if he would part with one of the FX6 filters and maybe a CO2 system (5 lb tank, regulator, tubing). He said make me an offer. I offered $150 for both, he said yes. So I went from having three different filters setup on this tank to account for the size to a single FX6 and I don't know if I could ever go back after having such a nice canister. It is truly wonderful.

I quickly learned for the amount of CO2 I wanted to inject into the tank, a 5 lb tank would not last long. A local shop cheaply refills CO2 tanks so I asked them, out of curiosity, how much it would be to trade up to a 10 lb -- $31 including refilling that 10 lb tank! The regulator that did come with the original 5 lb CO2 tank was meh. It was a single stage and no solenoid so I had to manually shut it off/on each day. Another local guy in the hobby actually builds regulators for people and sells them at cost, just does it because he is a decent dude and has the skills. So I reached out and he happened to have one that he had built already for $175 (an incredibly good deal as his regulators are TOP notch -- he currently has some he built for $575+). The regulator made an incredible difference. Everything is time so it's one less thing my brain needs to remember to do each day and it is consistently injecting the same amount, which is keeping the plants healthy and fish as well.

Gabbie
I figured I would show the difference in the flooring and why I even bothered moving this massive tank. The empty tank is when I first bought it and the other picture is today about 6 weeks post floor refinishing!

IMG_1377.jpeg
IMG_2114.jpeg

Gabbie
Here are some pictures of the angelfish residents in the tank!

IMG_1888.jpeg
IMG_2005.jpeg
IMG_2020.jpeg
IMG_2023.jpeg
IMG_2026.jpeg
IMG_2032.jpeg
IMG_2037.jpeg
IMG_2043.jpeg
IMG_2046.jpeg
IMG_2081.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies