Dream 8 Gallon

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I know its a weird size, but I am thinking on an eight gallon heavily planted tank with 140 square inches of floor space. Will be heavily scaped.

So if this was yours... What would you do? My original thoughts were killifish (f.g.) or dario dario (finding females is a nightmare).

I would prefer a fish that can breed in a natural setting and is not common.

Tank will be planned for 100% planted floor coverage in 4-6 months. Yes on CO2. Cannot do brackish.

Thoughts? What would you do? Would love ideas...

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi there,
I think a pair of killis would be fine in a 8 gallon. In the wild, they live in puddles for crying out loud!

I wouldn't get a pair of scarlet badis. They are horrible beginner fish. They are very picky fish and only accept live food and rarely frozen food.

What species of kilifish do you have in mind?

cjbart1009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I think a pair of killis would be fine in a 8 gallon. In the wild, they live in puddles for crying out loud!

I wouldn't get a pair of scarlet badis. They are horrible beginner fish. They are very picky fish and only accept live food and rarely frozen food.

+1 on this. I tried badis in a tank only setup and tried to get them to eat frozen food but didn't succeed unfortunately.

May I suggest clown killis or the gardneri killi? Look them up and see if you like them.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Hold up. 40 years experience lol.

Fundulopanchax Gardneri Rayfield was my first thought.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 on this. I tried badis in a tank only setup and tried to get them to eat frozen food but didn't succeed unfortunately.

May I suggest clown killis or the gardneri killi? Look them up and see if you like them.
Clowns would be interesting, but the recommendations I am seeing are for a lot of fish in an 8 gallon. Like 5 pairs. Which seems a bit tight.

Going to a killifish meeting in a week so may throw out the questions there.

On the dario dario... Any luck on feeding daphnia?

Ed204

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Clowns would be interesting, but the recommendations I am seeing are for a lot of fish in an 8 gallon. Like 5 pairs. Which seems a bit tight.

Going to a killifish meeting in a week so may throw out the questions there.

On the dario dario... Any luck on feeding daphnia?
Yes, the Scarlet Badis should eat daphnia.

Do you have a fry tank? If you don't I would just get 1 pair due to the future fry the may have.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Scarlet Badis should eat daphnia.

Do you have a fry tank? If you don't I would just get 1 pair due to the future fry the may have.
With dario dario I would only do it with a trio. The males get a bit... Agressive with the females. Spreads it out.

I was going for natural raising though... Fry tank is not an issue. Outlet for fry is also fine (3 club meetings a month lol).

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Btw, Dario Dario is probably off the list due to lack of females though I do have an open request for black tiger dario (I find a trio and everything else takes back seat).

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I vote clown killis. I have a few pairs (not five) in a ten gal and they're beautiful.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not compatible... Ph is completely off. Sadness... It would have been a neat combo.

Btw- summer plan is setup four more shrimp colonies... Already raise 2. Picking out those 4 is going to be fun.

Little Tank of Happiness

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not compatible... Ph is completely off. Sadness... It would have been a neat combo.

Btw- summer plan is setup four more shrimp colonies... Already raise 2. Picking out those 4 is going to be fun.
Farm-raised fish adapt to a wide variety of pH so as long as they aren't wild caught, you're fine. I got this info from @TexasDomer a bit back I believe

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
At what pH are you going to keep your tank? Clown killis are adaptable to a range of pH. I keep mine at 8.2 with no issues.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah... But they natively have zero overlap. I would rather keep something similar. For example this tank without altering would be hard water (180ppm) ph of 6.5-6.8 range. Now I can alter it... But that is my base water condition for a planted tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom