Dreaded Columnaris Help

1. Fishywife

Fishywife Member Member

Ok, i have that dratted columnaris in one of my tanks, 20g tall, 12 guppies. Ive treated this tank with nitrofurazone, 2 doses, 4 days apart, then 3rd nitrofurazone dose, with kanaplex, then kanaplex 2 days after, then water change,then nitrofurazone with kanaplex. Had multiple deaths. Big water change, found on testing water my cycle has been knocked out. Added salt. Lowered temps to 74. 4 days no symptoms.. then bam loosing about 2 fish daily again. Dosed last night with kanaplex. Only had a 4 day break. What on earth do i do now? Ive separated guppies with symptoms to a breeder box. I hope someone has some good ideas becsuse im running out of them. Help me please!

2. eukendywa

eukendywa Member Member

I had some trouble a while back and was directed to Charles Harrison on the forum. He has a lot of knowledge and I was able to buy medication from him. Very nice guy. There are seveal mentions of him on the groups.

3. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

Fishywife Member Member

4. eukendywa

eukendywa Member Member

He gave me Levamisole for it. He asked about red spikes near the anus

5. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

And do you see red spikes near the anus? meaning red worms sticking out? That would be camallanus worms which is what Levamisole is typically used for.

6. K

Keith83 Member Member

I just went through the same thing only it was a single Pearl Gourami that was afflicted. I caught it pretty early on. I treated with Kanaplex twice and the mouth and head areas are now clear. I also knocked out my cycle out and am dealing with that now. I.had read that using API Furan2 with Kanaplex is a good treatment. Try that combo. There was none locally so I ordered some but the Kanaplex seamed to work by itself. Good thing because the Furan is still on it's way. Hope it has a happy ending for you

7. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

Fishywife Member Member

My fish dont have camallanus worms, its columnaris bacteria, saddleback, whatever you want to call it.
    Thankyou @Keith83 i will get furan 2 ordered. My cycle has bombed too, just an excuse to go and get an aquaclear, and fill it from my canister when all is dealt with i guess. I hope i dont loose many more fish.

8. K

Keith83 Member Member

You're welcome! Keep us posted.

9. k

katorimom Initiate Member

I have read that many times the Kanaplex/Furan2 combination is the only thing that works too. So use them together, following the directions on each package. Do water changes per package instructions. Furan2 turns the water yellow. Makes it impossible to use the API test kit. I've also read on a few sites that Furan compounds are light sensitive, so for what it's worth, I'd keep the tank lights off during their treatment. Best wishes for your fish. I hope this works for you.

10. k

katorimom Initiate Member

One more thing. I've emailed Seachem about using Prime with Furan2, as some meds get deactivated by Prime. Still waiting for a response. You could call their tech support if you are using it. 888-732-0003. I'm waiting for Metroplex and Furan2 to come in. I suspect that combo will knock out my cycle too.

11. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

Fishywife Member Member

Yes im using prime. Just did a 50% pwc, and added carbon to filter. Im giving these guys a break for a few days while i wait for the furan to arrive. Might put a uv sterilizer in too try and maybe help. Added some salt. Kanaplex is hard on their organs and they've had 5 doses already... have 2 displaying symptoms right now, all others seem ok. I have the 2 in a large breeder box separated from the others, with a bit of java moss. All seem to be eating and doing ok. Im really hoping that this is the end of it.

I have also read that kanaplex gives a false high ammonia reading. This doesnt explain the lack of nitrates though so im assuming a cycle crash. I figured a decent water change to reduce any ammonia which might be present and half the meds in water couldnt hurt. Poor fish. Im doing everything i can for them :(

12. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

Fishywife Member Member

Update: all guppies seem to be doing great. No evidence of sickness. Last one which i had separated died thursday evening. Am watching tank like a hawk. All seem fine, so fingers crossed after a barrage of meds, water changes and removal of about $100 of dead plants (due to meds) i have this beaten!

Will update again in a couple of days, hopefully with good news!