Drain Fishing Spoils Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Guppy43, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Guppy43

Guppy43Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +76
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi guys,
    I have abit of quandary. My good friend and I went drain fishing ( the type where they give you a net+bucket and you scoop fish outta a small pond ).... we were kinda bored and looking for something to do. So we caught some fish and my friend doesn’t keep fish so I took all round 10-12 fish home and am currently quarantining them in a small 5l bucket with a small sponge filter I took from another tank but with the next 6 hours 2 died and 1 suicided by jumping out while I was away and dried up on the floor.

Can these fish survive? I’m afraid to put them into my main tanks where they might infect my other fish since they came from a tiny pond where there were dead fish, kids(and 2 loony young men) chasing them.

Side note: he also managed to catch two shrimp that had an exact build to cherry shrimp but were dark grey. Can I toss em into my shrimp tank(has cherry and golden stripe shrimp)?

2. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,070
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    No. Put them back where they came from, and sterilize any nets or other objects that you used to catch/keep them. You wouldn't buy fish from a tank that had dead fish in it, why would you keep fish from a pond/pool with dead fish floating in it!?!

I once caught some fish in Florida that I brought back to Michigan. They were quarantined in 3 tanks. The fish in one of these tanks started dying off with obvious external illness, and I used a fishroom net to remove the dead bodies. At that time I was in the habit of rinsing my nets under very hot water and hanging them to dry. Even after the nets had dried, I suddenly found the same disease killiing fish in several tanks of my fishroom. I lost a couple hundred dollars worth of rare fish over a few common Florida natives. After that, I kept my nets in a bucket of sterilizing chemicals between uses in ANY tank. I bleach cleaned all the tanks that had been infected, and any objects that could be cleaned. I also had to toss a whole lot of gravel substrate.

3. OP
    OP
    Guppy43

Ratings:
    +76
    Experience:
    Just started
    Dang....
    Thought I could at least keep the black cherry shrimps

4. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,399
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If the shrimp live and can breed with yours then your cherries will become brown ..That is what cross breeding shrimp does I believe ..
    I also would listen to above advice ..I value my fishroom more then 10 or 12 free fish ..Even if they were expensive fish ..
    Keeping healthy fish is only hard when you try to keep ones that are not ??o_O Sounds stupid but more should think about it big picture style ..
    I am a little colder to 'unhealthy' fish then most ..

5. OP
    OP
    Guppy43

Ratings:
    +76
    Experience:
    Just started
    Welp
    Gonna clear em up tmr then
    If any are still alive

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,196
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I just want to mention, in many places it is illegal to put fish back into a body of water once they have been removed (I'm not talking about catch and release fishing).