Dragon Stone Mess

Jarzola89

Does anyone else have dragon stone that seems to be constantly shedding. I washed and thoroughly cleaned the stones prior to putting them in the tank but I looks like there’s material still falling off them. It makes my white sand look horrible. Any suggestions?

MRP

Six hours with a dental pick to clean the clay out of every crevice.

Upvote 0

Jarzola89

Six hours with a dental pick to clean the clay out of every crevice.

I used that and a tooth brush.. I may just get something different this is craziness lol

Upvote 0

A201

I've never used Dragon Stone. Only know its very popular with fish keepers
& very expensive. Its not a rock commonly found at a local rockyard.
Is the shedding just dirt & clay or the actual rock disintegrating?

Upvote 0

SnookusFish

I have dragonstone in my tank and when rinsing I blasted water into every crevice snd it hasnt dirtied the water at all

Upvote 0

leftswerve

When I had a bunch of it, I was rough with it while cleaning. There is mud in holes you didn't know existed. Water, silt and clay has filtered through that rock for a very long time. You have to soak, clean it, blast it. It will break in half if you're not careful, but until you can get to all the hidden muck, you either have to deal with it or get ride of it.

Upvote 0

saltwater60

I wonder if you have access to a power washer and you hit it with that?

Upvote 0

H2oAngels

Rinse, rinse, rinse.

Attachments

• DB648243-6BED-43C1-9016-510C1DBA64A2.jpeg
    DB648243-6BED-43C1-9016-510C1DBA64A2.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

leftswerve

I had an aquarium full of this, those are very large pieces 10-12". Be careful with a pressure washer, it could "Scale" off quite a bit.
5.jpg

Upvote 0

Jarzola89

Thanks for all the help guys, I just changed stone my tank looks sooooo much better now.

Upvote 0

RDcompton03

I have it in one of my tanks. I love the look but its basically hardened mud, or clay to be more accurate. Its not a hard rock and while I havent experienced it yet I am told that it can crumble some over time especially if its disturbed much. My shrimp seem to love to pick at it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mcasella
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views
Cue
Replies