Dragon Scale Bettas? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Goldmoon, Apr 21, 2019.

1. GoldmoonValued MemberMember

Hello everyone! I’m new here and I was wondering if hear two bettas of mine are dragonscales. The female (with the black tail) has a few scales missing and you can see a dark black layer under the scales which I’ve heard is a characteristic of a dragon scale. I also heard that dragon scales have the characteristic of thick scales and they both certainly have that. They both came from a LFS that kept the bettas in community tanks (not cups!) and didn’t have any specific labels. Thanks in advance! IMG_0650.JPGIMG_0649.JPG

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Both dragonscales, is that a gourami with the one? Bettas and gourami do NOT go together, nor do two female bettas, but I'm assuming you have them separated.
    The gourami will kill the betta eventually as they are both labyrinth fish, so the gourami will see it as competition

3. GoldmoonValued MemberMember

It is a dwarf gourami and I am aware that they usually don’t get along and it is not recommended to keep bettas and gouramis together. It is a 20 gallon high tank with community fish and plenty of live plants. I know that it was risky to keep them together but there has been no aggression and all fish in the tank get along. I also know that keeping bettas together is risky, but I’ve had no issues with keeping the females together. Again, no aggression and I have other tanks that I can put fish in if aggression becomes an issue. The fish have places to hide and get away if necessary. I always do lots of research before adding any fish that might be a risk and I know the consequences. Thanks for the response!! I’m glad to know that the two of them are dragon scales. I might separate the gourami but right now there are no issues. Thanks again!

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Okay, but just front experience, it's not going to end well. It may take a few months, but it will fall apart :(
    Good luck with your tank, they're gorgeous fish!!