Dragon Eye Pearlscale

moxelle

Reaction score
New fish of about 3 weeks. I have been having some issues with him as he was severely stressed through transportation. As of today, he has been having periods of bottom sitting and periods of activity. There is some whitish coloring on the edges of his tail fins, as well as about 2 spots near his head where there is a white thread-like structure. Anchor worm? I am wondering if he has possible fin rot/bacterial/fungal infection. He is a pearlscale, and does get some bubble-like forms that seem to grow, burst, then heal.

55 Gallon tank, 3 goldfish. The other 2 are active and healthy. 2 HOB filters and 1 sponge. 1st HOB is up to 75 Gal and other is 100Gal. The 100Gal HOB is new.

Did an 80% water change earlier today, tested the water just now and I have 0.25 ammonia which I have not seen anything but 0 for years. Wondering if it was the big water change or the brand new filter? Just did a 50% water change to get that level down.

pH: 7.4-7.6
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20

Any advice is highly appreciated!!!
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check the ammonia in your tap water. I thought I was having a problem with high nitrates all the time but it turns out that there were nitrates in the tap water.

moxelle

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply
You know I haven't done that in a while, so why not! Here's the results for straight from the tap:
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Interesting...should I be adding more prime than prescribed for 55 gallon because of the elevated ammonia?

Also tested the water this morning:
Ammonia 0 (yay)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0

This morning he is a bit more active, but is hanging at the top of the tank more often. I do have a huge bruiser of a butterfly telescope in the tank (about 6") that does push him around when looking for food, I think it stresses him out.

I also forgot to mention his poop has been thin and white. Just fed some Repashy and waiting to see if it is still white today. (P.s. I feed Repashy Soilent Green, Repashy Super Gold from Dandy Orandas, and New Life Spectrum Thera+A soaked in Vitachem vitamins.)

I am thinking he has an internal parasite...I have Prazi-Pro on hand, should I start dosing?

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Unfortunately I am not the guy for a goldfish at all.

What I do know is that while they can tolerate some pretty awful water conditions, that better water conditions can only make them healthier.

How often do you siphon the bottom of your tank?

moxelle

Reaction score
I understand, and appreciate any help!

I siphon every time I do a water change. It is a bare bottom tank that does have algae on the bottom. I have a pretty high powered light for the few plants in the tank, which probably attributes to the algae growth. I have heard some algae in the tank is actually good for goldfish, though. But I could be wrong.

I am now thinking he is most likely constipated. The poop is mainly clear, with bubbles and some transparent bits that I may be mistaking for white. I have had this issue before in other fish...I do not feed any veggies, only food packed with protein, and I am thinking more and more this is the issue. I fed some peas and waiting to see what happens. He is stable for now, though. (Cross your fingers)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom