Dragon Betta?

shellbell4ever
I have been checking out aquabid's Betta's and they have Dragon Betta's Does anybody know what they are?

angelfish220
from what I could tell looking at them, all the 'dragons' have 2 colored scales so you can see perfectally where each scale starts and ends.

Allie
They look like they have a mask. My Casper has a white mask but not enough to be called a dragon. Think Chinese dragon decoration & you can see it in the coloring of the betta. They are the new thing breeders are trying to perfect right now.

angelfish220
Wait, I'm confused how can Casper have a white mask when he's all white already

Allie
Wait, I'm confused how can Casper have a white mask when he's all white already
He is Platinum white, far from the true dragon mask...but you can see the thicker white scales on the regular scales. Here's pix:

angelfish220
they are pretty!!!

I can kinda see what you mean with casper. thanks

Allie
they are pretty!!!

I can kinda see what you mean with casper. thanks
No problem...it looks more defined in person.

Martinismommy
OMG that is an overload of sheer beauty!

Tazmiche
COBettaCouple
Our newest Betta Rocky is a Red Dragon. Looks almost exactly like that first one of Allie's friend. So far, he's the most gentle red betta we've had.

Allie
Our newest Betta Rocky is a Red Dragon. Looks almost exactly like that first one of Allie's friend. So far, he's the most gentle red betta we've had.
Her pair spawned and I am hoping she'll have some for sale in a few months.

COBettaCouple
That's great! Rocky is such a handsome betta, it's very tempting to spawn him.

StriderHiyru

if you have spare fry for sale let me know, I want a dragon batta ^^

shellbell4ever
Thanks all for the info ...I Think they're Beautiful!

Narcicius
cool looking bettas

Magoo
Good morning to all I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with my ponderings. I recently got a handsome little silver lilac with red and blue bits in his tail dragon betta I don't really know much about these I've usually had veil tails and of course my half moon. I was wondering if anyone out there has got one had one do they always scavenge for food? HoudinI is constantly trying to eat everything and he is well fed I'm just afraid I may over feed him as he is constantly digging in the gravel sometimes he's more like a cory than a betta. Am I worrying about nothing is this normal? I know all betta personalities are different but sometimes certain characteristics can be determined by specific family types. Any thoughts would be most appreciated thank you

bankruptjojo
I see my bettas looking along the ground sometimes even biting it. I don't know how much hes looking around but if he investigation stuff id say hes healthy. do you have live floating plants that might distract him mine love there water spite.

I feed bettas by there size. most of mine I feed 3 pellets in the morning and 2 at night. skipping a day once a week is a good idea.

Magoo
Hey bankruptjojo thanks for the reply I fast Malcolm on Sunday's and I think HoudinI will get fasted then too so as not to make mal jealous. I was wondering because Malcolm doesn't do that he does the food dance but HoudinI seems to be always pecking away at stuff it must be his character lol. He's named HoudinI because he jumped out of his bag and into the tank whilst I was acclimatising him took my eyes off him for just a minute and the next thing I see him swimming about at the front of the tank little monkey I'm keeping a close eye on him maybe I'm making something out of nothing. Thanks again

soltarianknight
I have had plenty of dragon scales, coppers and masks. Of course, dragon scale can be applied to ANY betta tail or body type so long as its betta splendens. They don't have any special species difference being that they are the same species. Id be interesting in seeing a picture of your boy. You said he is lilac in color right? Sounds more like a copper betta.

That being said, I have had a few bettas that like to scavenge around for food. Most of the time its actually microscopic animals hiding on the surface of the gravel, plants and glass. Also detritus worms.

Magoo
Hello soltarianknight the pictures aren't brilliant he's not very cooperative but here are a couple

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341600011.226704.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341600031.006994.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341600071.508873.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341600090.338209.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341600120.357118.jpg
He is only little yet any input would be greatly received he likes playing in the filter flow too which is cute to watch. (A little more than a couple sorry got carried away trying to get his prettiness)

bankruptjojo
he is very pretty! I'm sure he is fine, it seems to me sometimes they just arnt used to a gravel bottom. they probably have been in glass bottoms there whole life. hes just very happy to have something under him

Cichlidnut
I found a neat article on the dragon scale gene you might be interested in

Magoo
Thank you bankruptjojo I hope so I just want him to be happy

Hello cichlidnut that article was very interesting so much work and patience Mr Tea must have loved his work

Should I just relax and let HoudinI do his thing? When I got him he was in a tank full of baby plecostamus maybe in some way he is copying them. Malcolm doesn't seem to mind his new neighbour he sits and watches him every now and again. Do you think HoudinI is a dragon veil tail?

Cichlidnut
I don't think he would be considered a full dragon.

I think you should give him some time to settle in to his new home.

JessiNoel21
Do you think HoudinI is a dragon veil tail?[/QUOTE]
He looks to be a comb or delta to me I would love to see him in his full glory flaring

Magoo
Hello I'll let him settle a bit he is a bit of a firecracker he is named HoudinI because he escaped from his bag whilst he was acclimatising but it was nearly time to put him in the tank so apart from the initial shock all is well. I must say I'm intrigued to see what his flare is like as he is so multicoloured I've heard about using mirrors as exercise but have never needed to with Malcolm I don't want to stress HoudinI he does like to tease mal though.

soltarianknight
That is a VT. He is a Red Copper. Not exactly a dragon, but similar. Hes very pretty.

Magoo
Thank you if he grows as big as Malcolm he's going to be a really handsome boy. The boys are beckoning for breakfast

soltarianknight
Hes already a very georgeous boy, that's for sure. One way to tell a Copper from a dragon is that Dragons scales are very white steel. Not so much other colors with the exception of blue and black. Copper get that real purple tint to them, the rays of the fins will also be the same color as the body. And, the color of the copper is effected by its under color(red in this case). There are exceptions though, to all rules. Still, coppers are my favorite to date. I have had 2 now. A black copper and a regular copper.

Magoo
Thank you soltarianknight I think he's a pretty boy I don't mind if he's not a dragon I love him anyway I love bettas wish I had more room for more betta tanks I am getting a 200 litre for Christmas maybe sooner I'm working on it don't think I'll be putting a betta in it though think I'm going to turn it into a corydora tank with something else but not decided yet lots of room to play with though and lots of options can't wait

Top Bottom