Draco's fins

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
My poor little Draco.... I know he's feeling fine by his level of activity and unending appetite, but his fins make me sad..... I'm sure that if he could see himself in a mirror he'd be upset too. He just seems like such a vain little guy, always flashing his tail wide open and waving it at me.
Now, instead of looking like a sleek and showy dragon/fish, he looks more like a battle-weary one. I can't wait until he gets back to normal, like in the picture below.

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sara -

How is he doing? Are you seeing any improvement? Is there anything we can do?

Poor little guy. They do so hate to look ragged.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rose,
He's doing better, although he's kind of upset with me tonight. I simply had to clean his tank, and the intrusion really ticked him off. To make up with him, I gave him a little snack of freeze-dried bloodworms. But he still comes over to the glass and looks at me as if to say "Don't you DARE do that again!! BAD mommy!"
His tail seems to be taking a little longer to start recovering, but I have faith that as long as he is eating well and flaring at himself (and me) regularly, he'll be ok.
Will his fins grow back in the same color? Or will it be more whitish, like scar-tissue? Not that I care..... He's a lovely boy, and my baby.

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I will have to say that I honestly am not the person to answer that. The only fish I own that ever had fin problems was Marty and his fins did not change color but they were so nearly all white in the "webby" part which was where the problem was. I do think it does not seem to be quite as thick and solid as before but not enough to make a big difference. Maybe they are just still regrowing because he had it bad and I had to end up giving him Triple Sulfa to get rid of it. But I am sure that though it takes a long time to regenerate the fins he will be as beautiful as he was. After all he will still have his sweet little personality and we love him for that.

He may even come to like his "bath".

And yes, if he flaring around, he doesn't even know he is sick so he is not feeling bad. Good sign.

Rose

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Draco's fins are just beginning to grow back, and the tips of his pelvic fins are white. His tail and analfin have not really grown back in yet, but there doesn't seem to be anymore degeneration.
If they all grew back in with white "scar tissue" coloration, it wouldn't be any big deal. Instead of a blue and red Betta, he's be red, white and blue..... pretty patriotic, huh?
(Draco is my husband's favorite fish...... funny, since he was never really interested in them before, other than to say they were pretty, and he was pretty upset by Dante's passing.)

S.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am glad to hear that you are starting to see some regrowth. It will be okay if he is a patriotic little Betta. We do not have one on the forum that I know of and it may be that you set a new record. Just don't tell him that he is a changed little guy and he will not even know it probably not even know it.

It is strange that he is one of the deciding factors in getting your husband interested in the little guys. Sometimes they sneak up on people and wrap their little fins around their hearts and it is not easy to get them to let go (more like impossible). My mom keeps trying to act like she doesn't like my fish but when she is over and Marty does something naughty or Alex is cute or the girls are acting foxy she is the one who always notices, and she really likes to watch the snails.

Tell Little Draco we all wish him well.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Glad he's doing okay...and Rose is right, it's odd what will trigger that interest. My friend had no idea that bettas acted differently with different foods until I made some suggestions..until then she had just thought she had an ornamental fish that was kind of boring and didn't always eat.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks to you, she now has a very precious new little friend. I hope she is able to enjoy him more now. I love new owner stories. Thanks, poe.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom