Dr Tims Waste Away?

Discussion in 'More Saltwater Aquarium Topics' started by xiholdtruex, Aug 25, 2019.

1. xiholdtruex

xiholdtruexWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +509
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Has anyone used waste away with good or bad results?

Seem to be finding mixed results online from this product

Thanks in advance

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,533
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It's just a bottle of nitrifying bacteria, similar to Tetra Safestart or any of the other bottled bacteria starters. If your tank is cycled and you do routine water changes and substrate vacuuming, I would think it would be unnecessary and ineffective. It's not a substitute for routine weekly maintenance/ water changes and would probably have no effect as far as water quality in a cycled tank.

3. OP
    OP
    xiholdtruex

Ratings:
    +509
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    From my understanding Dr tims one and only is like tetra safe start it is nitrifying bacteria. Dr Tims waste away is bacteria that eats detritus. Sludge and gets into knooks and crannys of the tank similar to the bacteria used is waste treatment plants to clean.
    Dr tims one and only has no fear of over dosing. Dr tims waste away can starve your tank of oxygen of over dosed.

4. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,533
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So, what exactly is the point of this bacteria? To break down the big chunks?

5. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    To stretch out water changed. Well that's the claim anyway.

6. OP
    OP
    xiholdtruex

Ratings:
    +509
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    it suppose to break down any detritus and sludge hidden in rocks, crevices and sand which is a major cause of algae issues in some tanks.

7. OP
    OP
    xiholdtruex

Ratings:
    +509
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I dont think it would stretch out water changes because if the bacteria breaks it down it needs to be exported so unless you run a skimmer water changes would be the way to go. I know many people report cleaner rocks, crystal clear water and increased coraline growth

8. Momgoose56

Ratings:
    +2,533
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    When waste is broken down by bacteria, it's converted to nitrogen compounds. It doesn't just disappear. I'd think if anything, your nitrate levels would go up a bit and you might have to tweak your water changes a little maybe. And I thought nitrates were the cause of algae problems, not sludge and detritus.

9. OP
    OP
    xiholdtruex

Ratings:
    +509
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have seen algae with no nitrates or phosphates and only feeding once a week 3 pellets for my clown.when I dealt with cyano I had no nitrates or phosphates and was water changed 50% a day. Unit I rip cleaned my tank and rinsed my sand and scrubbed my rock it kept coming back no matter what I did for 3+ months. Looking at this as maybe a preventative measure in the future. I currently sand vac, run a fuge and change filter floss every 3 days so I do not have any present issues. people have been running waste away for algae issues so its the only thing I can think of which detritus and such fuels the algae maybe with nitrogen and phosphate or maybe a in balence of each not sure.