Dr. Axelrods Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fish

Treefork

Got this book at Half Price Books yesterday. They originally had it priced at $49.95 a few months ago, I have looked at it every time I go in there and when I stopped in yesterday it was priced at $12.98. It's the 8th edition from 1995 so some of the information is probably outdated, but the 11th edition from 2007 is about $100 dollars or more, so I will settle for this.

It's a very nice book, Letter sized pages and 1200 of them. Over 7,500 full color ID photos of nearly every identified freshwater aquarium fish up to 1995. Very cool, very happy with this purchase.

yallyall1

Cool find! I found an old 1984 aquariust magazine and he wrote most of the articles in there!

Lucy

Thanks for the review Joe

Treefork

yallyall1 said:
Cool find! I found an old 1984 aquariust magazine and he wrote most of the articles in there!
Yeah he owned T.F.H Publications I believe until the 90's. I just found out (did not know this) that he was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison for tax fraud in the U.S. Interesting.

GemstonePony

just be careful, I've heard some of his stocking suggestions and they make me go
Even though there is a "Dr." at the beginning of his name, take what he says with a grain of salt.

Treefork

GemstonePony said:
just be careful, I've heard some of his stocking suggestions and they make me go
Even though there is a "Dr." at the beginning of his name, take what he says with a grain of salt.
He must know a few things, the cardinal tetra is named after him. . Among other things.

claudicles

I've got the minI atlas. It is great.

konstargirl

My dad used to have two of his books. One was made in the 170's and the other one in the 90's? I threw them out because they were getting dirty.

Treefork

No worries on throwing out a book, he's published probably hundreds of fish books, the only one I would really put much value in personally is the atlas and the minI atlas. I have both now. The most current atlas retails for $115.00 but amazon has it for $73.00. My copy is the 8th edition, they're on the 11th now. Apparently a lot of stuff was updated in the last edition as well.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom