Dps Uninterested In Food

1. Mardymustard1

Mardymustard1 Valued Member Member

hello, so I've had 4 dwarf puffers (pea puffers) in a heavily planted 20g for around 4/5 months and I have always fed them frozen bloodworm (thawed) but lately it seems like they are very uninterested/have gone off it. I will feed them with a pipette and squirt out a few bloodworm but they go to eat a bit and then just ignore the rest of eat a little and spit it out? I can clearly see that this is making them a bit agitated as they have always eaten a good amount to where their bellies are round but, they don't eat enough now to have a belly (just a smaller one) this is really concerning me as I want them to be healthy.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Have you tried enticing them with some snails or other live/frozen foods?

3. OP
    OP
    Mardymustard1

They like snails but I struggle to find ones that are small enough with a big enough quantity. Also, I'm not sure where I could keep live food?

4. el337

Usually they do well with ramshorn and pond snails as they are small enough.

5. OP
    OP
    Mardymustard1

i don't feel like snails could be a staple diet for them though as I can never find a large enough amount of smaller snails ): what other food options are there?

6. el337

Snails don't have to be a staple. You could try other frozen foods.

7. LittlePinkDot

LittlePinkDot New Member Member

I have a separate tank to raise snails in. I have 9 micro fish in a 10 gallon planted tank. I use an automatic feeder that slightly over feeds. Over feeding is what will cause a population increase in snails. I use the snails to feed my puffers in my 20 gallon. I also have malaysian trumpet snails in the planted puffer tank, they can hide under the substrate so they can handle the constant predation, although I wouldnt depend on them exclusively since theyre a little too difficult for the puffers. When going on vacation I order gammarus shrimp to put in the tank, and they are enough to keep my puffers fed for 2-3 weeks while away. Daphnia are also good and always accepted by puffers and other fish, Ive heard all you need is a bucket and some sun light and crushed up fish food to breed Daphnia.