downsizing my 5ft to two tanks

charzar-g

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hey guys and girls
okay, so here is my little back story info about my current tank...
I have a 5ft tank at the moment with the stocklist in my signature, but i can guiltily admit i have never done a water change in the tanks 1 and a half year life. But my idea on this is "why fix what isnt broken?" I have only lost two fish, a coral beauty who got stuck in a rock and a yellow tang what died the day of purchase.

MY PLAN:
I want to downsize my tank to two seperate smaller tanks, a cylindral tank with seahorses, and a smaller tank for four banggai cardinal fish (I particularly want to work on breeding this fish)
I was thinking to save money, to use my current freshwater tank for the banggais (and my cleaner shrimp, and then putting my fresh water into the 5ft tank. I would have to buy a cylinder tank.
What I want to know is would it be possible to have both of these smaller tanks using the same sump, so i can have the luxury of having easier maintanance? and how would i go about doing this?
I would put most of my live rock in ther, along with a shared skimmer.

Any ideas? or should i stick to my current set up or prehaps go for the smaller tanks individually?

Seahorses were the reason i got into marine in the first place, and i feel i am ready.
I also want to breed banggais because i have some in my current setup, and saw a poster at schoolabout the top ten threatene species, i didnt realise they were thretened and it really struck a chord.

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
but i can guiltily admit i have never done a water change in the tanks 1 and a half year life.
Well not sure but I will assume you did not have a reed tank. Otherwise I would like to know what you had in the tank as far as filtration.

But my idea on this is "why fix what isnt broken?"
Well I don't do water changes aften either, but the only reason I do water changes is to keep the nitrates from getting too high, like in the 200 or so.

a cylindral tank with seahorses,
Not sure how much research you have done about seahorses, but they are pretty cool. From what I know that type of tank will be better for them.

What I want to know is would it be possible to have both of these smaller tanks using the same sump, so i can have the luxury of having easier maintanance?
Also from what I know the seahorses need a water column with very low if not zero nitrates. If that's true, you must make sure you keep an eye for that. Also if you are going to breed the cardinals, that will also have be considered as high nitrates are believe to affect their repuductive ability. If I remeber correctly itmakes infertile, all fish not just the cardinals.

and how would i go about doing this?
It would depend on your current set up. Basically you can plumb both tanks to the sump, but have different gph pumps for the individual tanks themselfs unless you want to have the same flow rate going to the tanks.

I would put most of my live rock in ther, along with a shared skimmer.

Any ideas? or should i stick to my current set up or prehaps go for the smaller tanks individually?

Seahorses were the reason i got into marine in the first place, and i feel i am ready.
I also want to breed banggais because i have some in my current setup, and saw a poster at schoolabout the top ten threatene species, i didnt realise they were thretened and it really struck a chord.
Well not sure what size tanks you are planning to with, but if they are small enough then it is possible to have independent filtration. Since you are wanting to share the skimmer, then I might be better to also share the sump.

charzar-g

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ah!
I'm so sorry! I forgot I posted the thread!! *guilty*
In the way of filtration at the moment, I have a in hood filter that runs all the way along it, and I have a skimmer, and live rock (not sure how much)
I have indeed done my research into seahorses, like i say, they were the reason I went marine in the first place.
With two tanks, I will definatly keep a closer eye on nitrates, particularly in the cardinal tank if I am going to breed them. When you say high nitrates can make fish infertile.. Is this permanantly?? Or until the nitrate problem is fixed??
I think the tank is about 20L, but i'm not sure I'll have to check up on that (the cardinal tank). As for the seahorse tank, I don't know what size, as I haven't bought it yet ;P

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As for your question on using a sump and skimmer on two tanks yes you can do this as long as you have proper water volume running equally thru both tanks may be a little tricky but can be done with out a doubt!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom