Dove Feeding Help Please

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

These doves are horribly messy. The food is the main problem. It's like they scoop it out and dump uneaten food on the bottom of the cage and the floor, so there is a LOT of wasted food.

I've tried "cockatiel mess reducing" food dishes with has a plastic backing and siding, little food dishes that act like automatic food dispensers.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone know any food dishes that are easy for doves to eat out of, but will reduce the wasted food? The woman that had them before me fed them wild bird food, but I switched them to dove food since it's more species specific for nutritional needs. It's more expensive than wild bird food and four doves should not go through a bag a week.

No other animal in this house (even the guinea pig) waste as much food as these doves. They're ringneck doves if that helps at all.

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Me and my dad used to keep around 25 white doves, fantail and common, they were fantastic :D
    We used to feed them normal wild bird food, but instead of a dish we would use, kind of like wooden fruit crates if you know what I mean lol, anyway, this reduced their mess however they did sometimes poop in there food.

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

So should I be feeding them wild bird food? I really want to give them the best possible nutrition.

Fruit crates, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean like the crates that strawberries come in? Or do they have different packaging for fruit in England? I check on them three times a day, so if they poop in their food, it won't be in there long. I just need to reduce the amount of wasted food, so I'll do whatever I need to do.

4. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Il see if I can find a pic for you :)

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you, I would greatly appreciate it:;hug2

6. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Same style as this but clearly with no gaps, and sand the corners if they are sharp or splinters etc..
    Then just put some newspaper in the bottom :)
    http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thu.../2/istockphoto_3997389-wooden-fruit-crate.jpg

By ringneck doves, are they theo nes that are grey with a black ring around their neck? If so, they are wild here in England and they eat standard wild bird food from peoples gardens a lot, maybe you could feed them a miixture?

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks for the pic:) That was very helpful.

Here's a pic of the doves. The two brown ones are eight years old. The white ones are a year old. Do they look like the wild doves you have? They've been upgraded to a flight cage since this pic was taken. The grate of their new cage can't be removed.

I'll be happy to mix dove food and wild bird seed if it will meet their needs. That's no problem at all.

Attached Files:

8. platy ben Well Known Member Member

What pretty doves :)
    the ones here look more like the brown ones, apart from they are grey and they have a very prominant black ring around the neck, the ones in England look like this http://www.dovepage.com/species/domestic/Ringneck/colors/wild.jpg

We used to keep our white doves in an avairy so we had room for the large fruit boxes, if you dont have room maybe you could just do the same thing on a smaller scale?

9. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you. A woman had to re-home 10 of them due to health issues, so I went to her house for two of them and brought home four. I consider them rescues. The money I paid her for them bought some of her necessary medicines, so it was a win-win situation for everyone.

They look very similar to your picture, so I'll mix the wild bird/dove food from now on.

I guess the key to doves is to make them get in the food dish with the food.

Thank you so much, Platy Ben! I really appreciate your help!

10. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Its ok :)
    Yup that is the key, I would try putting there food dish in the box to start with and if they flick it about everywhere the box stops it and keeps it all in one place :)

Just a couple of bird things :)

If you ever get room in your 'zoo' you should try an avairy of white doves, once they learn where home is it is an amazing feeling letting them fly free during the day and then they come home at night :)

Also, have you ever seen java sparrows?, I used to have 2 and boy they were messy eaters!

11. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

An aviary of doves....now that would be cool.

I've never seen java sparrows, but my gouldians and cordon bleu finches are pretty messy eaters. At least with them, it's hulls only, not actual seeds.

12. platy ben Well Known Member Member

It is very cool trust me :D Ours used to be so tame that they would sometimes come in the house during the day lol :)

I liked my java sparrows but they never laid eggs, I had a normal male and an albino female but none of the eggs were any good :( and they never used the nest boxes :(.

My grandad used to have gouldian finches :) He breeds plum head parakeets :D

13. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

My daughter LOVES holding the doves. I do too until they show me they're not housebroken:mad:

Gouldians are wonderful little finches. I'm thinking about getting a breeders license and a few females for my males.

Plum head parakeets, I'll have to look those up. They're not ringing a bell. Of course, there are so many species of birds, it's amazing. I don't think us humans have created anything with birds that doesn't exist in the wild, either. That's kinda cool.

14. platy ben Well Known Member Member

It certainly is cool :)

Oh, do you have to have a license to breed them where you are?

I love plum head parakeets :) My grandad has bred them for years :) He used to have quails aswel :) I love quails :D:D

15. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

To sell birds that you've bred, you have to have a license. It also looks good to potential buyers to know that you've been inspected and you're licensed.

I just googled the plum head parakeets. They're so pretty!

Quails are cute, especially the babies.

16. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Ohh I understand :)

Yup lots of pretty birds :)

What a nice discussion we have had :;toast

17. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

It was a wonderful discussion. Thank you so much and thank you for your help as well. The birds and I will both be much happier now.

18. crazedACD Member Member

That box would probably work :). You could also try placing another, wider dish (or like a large tupperware lid, baking pan, etc) under a regular food dish to catch any dropped pieces, if they don't stray too far from the food. You could probably velcro the food dish on there to stay put if they move it around. Very pretty doves!

19. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

More fabulous ideas:D Thank you for the ideas and compliments on our doves. They're very sweet birds and make excellent pets after we get this whole food issue resolved.

20. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not really familiar with doves but now and then I think about getting a pet pigion (essentially the same bird) and for them they recommend feeding them on the ground...
    really don't know if that's helpful for you or not but that may be what you're doves are trying to accomplish.

Best of luck, they're really pretty. :)