Doubts on a new pond

3876T

I really want to get a silver arowana but i just can't think of a good aquarium for it, it always feels weird to keep a fish which gets 3 feet long in a home aquarium so i am planning to make a pond which will be probably 8x6ft or 10x5ft.
I have several doubts about it like :

1. Is it necessary to put a lid/cover in a pond?

2. Can i keep some kois with him/her? Because I planned to get a kois first

3. what food should I feed him/her?

4. I am getting a 1ft arowana, should I groom her in a aquarium first or can I directly release him/her into the pond?

dwc13

Some information on Arowana

A few things to think about if you're considering a (outdoor) pond:
1. How would you keep the water temperature in the pond @78F year round, especially if you live somewhere that has snow in the winter and/or cooler nights? Depending upon where you live, it could be an expensive proposition to heat a pond compared with an aquarium, which is usually kept inside where the ambient room temperature is ~70F. If you live in an area where it snows during winter, you would probably need to bring the Arowana inside during the colder months. Which begs the question, if you have space for a tank to house the Arowana during the colder months, why not just keep it inside year round? The follow-up question is if you don't have space for an aquarium large enough for an adult Arowana (@3'+), is this fish a good match for you at this time? If you watched the linked video, Arowana grow fast, lol.

2. If you live in an area where it rains frequently, what are your plans on keeping the pH (relatively) stable in the pond? What about dealing with contaminants from surface runoff flowing into the pond? An above ground pond would probably eliminate issues from surface runoff, but not rain water falling into the pond and potentially messing up the pH. Thanks, acid rain.

3. Arowana is a known jumper. If it is kept in a pond, what are the odds it will spot an insect or bird flying overhead and leap out of the water (if there is nothing to prevent it from doing so)? You would need a net or something else covering the pond to prevent that from happening.

Upvote 0

3876T

Some information on Arowana

A few things to think about if you're considering a (outdoor) pond:
1. How would you keep the water temperature in the pond @78F year round, especially if you live somewhere that has snow in the winter and/or cooler nights? Depending upon where you live, it could be an expensive proposition to heat a pond compared with an aquarium, which is usually kept inside where the ambient room temperature is ~70F. If you live in an area where it snows during winter, you would probably need to bring the Arowana inside during the colder months. Which begs the question, if you have space for a tank to house the Arowana during the colder months, why not just keep it inside year round? The follow-up question is if you don't have space for an aquarium large enough for an adult Arowana (@3'+), is this fish a good match for you at this time? If you watched the linked video, Arowana grow fast, lol.

2. If you live in an area where it rains frequently, what are your plans on keeping the pH (relatively) stable in the pond? What about dealing with contaminants from surface runoff flowing into the pond? An above ground pond would probably eliminate issues from surface runoff, but not rain water falling into the pond and potentially messing up the pH. Thanks, acid rain.

3. Arowana is a known jumper. If it is kept in a pond, what are the odds it will spot an insect or bird flying overhead and leap out of the water (if there is nothing to prevent it from doing so)? You would need a net or something else covering the pond to prevent that from happening.

1. I live in a tropical region (kerala,southern india) here the average temperature is 24c to 28c

2. I am keeping my pond in my rooftop and there is a roofing sheet above it to prevent raining

3. yes, your indeed correct, even though there r no insects birds still exist here
There is a bird sanctuary nearby :/ i can see lot of shanks, crows and in rare times even peacocks....
i think i should put some iron bars and cover my roof

Tnx for the reply!

Upvote 0

dwc13

Ah, then warm weather year round. Nice! Using Google maps, I found a few coastal cities in Kerala. Out of curiosity, I looked up average monthly temperatures for Kovalam & Thiruvananthapuram. If temperatures in those cities are similar for your area, it will be good to have the roofing shield blocking direct sunlight in addition to rain. At least you don't have to worry about snow & ice, lol.

Have you verified -- with a qualified expert -- the roof can safely support the weight of the pond & equipment in the spot you're looking to build? Don't forget to take into consideration the weight of anything else that is located on the roof, including construction materials for the pond. Water weight alone for a 5'x10' pond filled to a 2' depth is over 6,200 lbs (@748 US gallons). This past winter Chicago had several big snowfalls (including heavier wet snow) and well-below freezing temperatures for an extended period. So the snow didn't melt. It was a concern because 3'+ had accumulated on roofs. Some roofs in the area collapsed from the weight of the snow. While weight from snow on rooftops won't be an issue in your part of the world, weight from a rooftop pond could be. Better safe than sorry, right?

Upvote 0

3876T

Ah, then warm weather year round. Nice! Using Google maps, I found a few coastal cities in Kerala. Out of curiosity, I looked up average monthly temperatures for Kovalam & Thiruvananthapuram. If temperatures in those cities are similar for your area, it will be good to have the roofing shield blocking direct sunlight in addition to rain. At least you don't have to worry about snow & ice, lol.

Have you verified -- with a qualified expert -- the roof can safely support the weight of the pond & equipment in the spot you're looking to build? Don't forget to take into consideration the weight of anything else that is located on the roof, including construction materials for the pond. Water weight alone for a 5'x10' pond filled to a 2' depth is over 6,200 lbs (@748 US gallons). This past winter Chicago had several big snowfalls (including heavier wet snow) and well-below freezing temperatures for an extended period. So the snow didn't melt. It was a concern because 3'+ had accumulated on roofs. Some roofs in the area collapsed from the weight of the snow. While weight from snow on rooftops won't be an issue in your part of the world, weight from a rooftop pond could be. Better safe than sorry, right?

Hahaha tnx! I guess I don't have to worry about snows and yes, i live in cochin and the weather is very similar to kovalam, My roof can probably handle the weight but just to give a extra protection I am gonna make a strong flat slab which is little above the ground and then make my pond in top of it

**** Chicago is really cold I just checked its temperature lol, but u still can keep some cool kois in it!

Upvote 0

dwc13

**** Chicago is really cold I just checked its temperature lol, but u still can keep some cool kois in it!

It gets cold in Chicago during the winter. Right now it's cooler here than it should be based upon past history. We had frost warnings a few days ago. Crazy, lol. At least we didn't get any snow.

As long as the pond is deep enough (@4'+) and equipped with an appropriate heater & deicer, Koi can survive cold winters in many places. Hibernation (torpor) can be a good thing.

Good luck with your pond.

Upvote 0

3876T

It gets cold in Chicago during the winter. Right now it's cooler here than it should be based upon past history. We had frost warnings a few days ago. Crazy, lol. At least we didn't get any snow.

As long as the pond is deep enough (@4'+) and equipped with an appropriate heater & deicer, Koi can survive cold winters in many places. Hibernation (torpor) can be a good thing.

Good luck with your pond.
Tnx! It was nice taking to u, I will give an a update soon!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FinalFins
  • Question
  • RedLoredAmazon
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
jtjgg