Double Tail Betta Being Lazy.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Fredbetta86, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Fredbetta86

Fredbetta86 Well Known Member Member

Hi Everyone,
    So I have a male double tail Betta in a cycled 10 gallon tank. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate temp is 78 degrees. I have an aquaclear 20 with a baffled outtake. I'm trying to figure out if there is something wrong with him or if he is just naturally lazy. When I'm in the room he kinda just sits and stairs at me and when I go close to the tank he shoots up to the top because he thinks I'm going to feed him. He does swim around but just kind of sits in a spot for awhile and then will move on to the next spot. He's not constantly swimming like my plakat Betta and veiltail. It seems like his fins make it difficult for him to swim. He kinda drags his back end when he turns too. Just wondering if there is something I can do or if I'm just being paranoid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would love to see him be more active but don't know if this is just the way he is. He has no signs of being sick in any way and has been like this since I got him(around 5 months old).

2. w

wem21 Well Known Member Member

might juat be the heavy finnage. You other fish swim more cuz they have less finnage. I woulnt worry if i were you.

3. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Thank you for your response.. do you have any advice on how to get him to be more active or do you think he's fine the way he is?

4. w

yo
    u can try add some AQ salt, 1/3 teaspoon per 1g. It helps with perking fish up, almond leaves may also help.

5. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Ok I'll give that a try thank you

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't bother with salt. If he has heavy finnage, nothing will help him become more active.

7. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

So is this pretty normal?

8. TexasDomer

For a heavy-finned betta, yes. If he's not displaying any other symptoms, heavy finnage would be my guess.

9. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Totally correct. I've also found over my years of keeping bettas that some are just flat-out lazy. Good tank size, perfect water, perfect temp and they still sit there all day until they think they'll be fed.

10. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Ok thank you

11. TexasDomer

You might encourage him to be more active by adding in new and interesting decor for him to explore. You can also add snails or shrimp to pique his interest.

12. MattS99

He might go after shrimp, but hey, he'll be moving. I've kept nerite snails with a betta on occasion.

13. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Thank you, this makes me feel better.

14. MattS99

No problem.

15. w

I would trust you more than I would trust myself if concerning fish. Btw, would you use API stress coat or AQ salt to treat fin rot?

16. MattS99

Stress Coat may help, not sure on salt. I personallly use Melafix but some people hate it. I think it's pretty decent.

17. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Do you think any of this is related to SBD? He has trouble turning so that's why I'm wondering. I don't want to treat him for SBD if he doesn't have it though.. I guess I could feed him a pea, couldn't hurt right..?

18. Sen

Sen Valued Member Member

Where did you get you betta from (how was he being kept before) and how long has he been in the 10 g? It's possible he might just be adjusting to the size of the new tank.

Edit: peas are good, so long as they're properly prepared and not overused! Also you can try soaking fish food in garlic juice; my bettas act all wiggly when they taste garlic.

19. TexasDomer

Neither. In bettas, fin rot can usually be treated with large and frequent water changes (like 25-50% changes daily). If it can't be treated with water changes, you'll need an antibiotic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice