Double Stand? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by AlexAlex, Dec 14, 2012.

1. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I have a custom made stand (not built by me) that came with my 75 Gallon Fish Tank. I like that the height of it was made for an eye view of the tank instead of having to bend down to see the fish clearly.

My issue with it is that I can't put a tank on the bottom. I have my 10 Gallon ADF tank on the bottom, but the stand technically wasn't built to have a big fish tank on the bottom (no bottom braces, cabinets or anything, just open space).

I was researching double stands and I was wondering if this (below website) would really hold up well for two 75 Gallons or if it's not worth it?

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Doesn't look like that good of a design to me.

3. OP
    OP
    A

I wonder how much it would cost to build one and how hard it would be?

4. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I would trust a welded stand over one you must assemble.

I recently bought a new one for my 29 gal. I had to look long and hard to find one. I insist on having one with scroll-work sides, as I believe that gives better rigidity, at least in the forward to back direction.

Most that I see are simple 90 degree angles at the corners, with no diagonal bracing - as stated above, poor design if you ask me. It will probably hold the weight ok, but they tend to wobble more than I like.

I've actually found that the weight of a bottom tank improves the stability - less top heavy. As stated though, the bottom tank is in less than ideal position for viewing, and siphoning water out can become a problem.

Building tank stands isn't that difficult, and it's nice and easy to over-build to keep your mind at ease. Spend the money for stainless steel screws, then you won't have to worry about rust if you ever decide to use it for salt.

Good luck, I was just looking at 75 gal tanks yesterday afternoon, not ready to buy yet, but I am jealous that you have TWO!!!!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  5. OP
    OP
    A

Here is my plan and I don't know if I can pull it off or not:

I have my 75 Gallon in the corner of the room (North outside wall of the office at home) right now. I don't like it in the corner because it takes away from the whole view of things, if that makes sense.

There is a long wall in between the entry and ext doorway and the far outside wall with another doorway that is the clothes or storage closet (this is an inside wall of the office). I want either a 120 or 100 Gallon stand (double) built to where I can have the 120 on top and my 75 Gallon on the bottom with some small and narrow side shelves for the food, etc.

Does this sound logic or is this impossible to pull off?

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Sounds doable.

I'm not a carpenter or engineer, but would feel confident in building something like you describe. I would use double 2X4s for the legs (or 4X4s) and 2X4s or 2X6s for the cross members. Just make sure you have good support for all weight bearing elements. If you plan on no center legs, as it sounds like you would do, then I would probably, personally, laminate your long sides like they do for a building header, using glue and screws. That gives a very strong, stiff run, without being real tall. Probably overkill, but comforting.

I assume you have checked out the capacity for you floor. Very important to know it can hold the weight, not all floors can stand that concentrated of load - two large tanks in the space of one.

I'm sure others with more structural experience will chime in. Have fun with your project.

8. OP
    OP
    A

9. OP
    OP
    A

I think I might change this scenario a little. I have 72 inches in length to work with (wall space). What would be the most feasible:

100 Gallon
    120 Gallon
    125 Gallon
    150 Gallon

I'd love to have a double fish tank stand, but if it isn't possible as far as being able to get around it, then I wouldn't want that. I was thinking a 120 Gallon or more on top and then put my 75 Gallon on the bottom. Is that possible, or am I dreaming too much? lol

10. d

dezignstuff Valued Member Member

A 120 gallon tank weighs about 1000 pounds. The 75 gallon will way about 650 or so. Unless you live on a concrete slab I think you need a stand that has several pairs of intermediate feet. This is both for the strength of stand and for the strength of the floor just to make sure that the load is distributed as evenly as possible. You should probably consider a couple of jack stands on the joists in the basement.

I have 1 of those stands that you're talking about and I use it for a pair of 29 gallon tanks. The stand is fine for that. The second tank is right about dog level and my dog enjoys watching the fish very much. The fact that you assemble it rather than weld it means nothing because you assemble it in the direction of gravity. For a tank larger than 55 gallons I would probably want to have intermediate feet on it. I don't know how the design works for the larger sizes but I would hope for real welds instead of spot welds and a heavier gauge material. Corner bracing is not going to be that significant unless you have a lot of side loads like kids or animals running into the stands frequently.

11. OP
    OP
    A

Wow, I think I understood about half of that, if I were lucky... LoL!

I don't have a basement, for one. This house was built in 1990, and not sure if it would hold two large tanks as I'd want. I have dogs, but they stay outside. The only pets I have in the house are the fishes and a Crested Gecko. Would it be better to just stick with one large tank with a singular stand? It sounds like the double tank scenario might be too much trouble.

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have one of those stands for 29 gallon tanks, and I have a similar but different double stand for 55s. I would not worry about the stand being able to hold 2 75s - that's what it's made to do. Companies spend a lot of money testing and developing things - they are not going to bring a stand to market if there is the possibility that it can't do what it's intended to do. It's not like over rating a filter... There are safety concerns - people can die.

If you have 72 inches, then look at a 125 or 150. Those are both 18 inches wide - if you've got space for a 24 inch wide tank, then look at a 180.

13. OP
    OP
    A

Jaysee, you are correct when really thinking thoroughly about it. No one is going to actually sell something that doesn't work and could possibly kill someone, etc.

My exact wall exposure that I have in length is around 70.75 inches. I wonder why that's so odd like that. So, I'll have to either purchase a 120 Long, 120, 100, or 90. If I'm going to upgrade, then I want to REALLY upgrade. I'm sure most other folks would feel the same.

It's either do a real big one like that, or get a double 75 Gallon stand.

14. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

While a good point about the stands, I've heard of plenty of accounts petco double stands becoming unstable, while technically designed to hold the weight it wouldn't make me feel any better about it being wobbly.

Also, while any number of stands may be designed to hold the weight, your floor may or may not be suitable for a huge amount of weight limited to a very small footprint. I'm speaking of 2 stacked 75's. I would be concerned as well if I put 1500 lbs parellel to the floor joists and it was sitting on one it may sag.

While very possible none of my concerns would ever result in a catastophe, call me overly cautious (because I sometimes am :)) But these things would concern me.

15. Jaysee

I'm sure the wobble has nothing to do with the floor itself ;)

16. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Another good point, I do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they made sure their stand was level and stable before a fish tank is placed on it.

17. OP
    OP
    A

Conflicting suggestions/opinions. This wasn't my dream thread, you know! lol

Maybe I should just stick to my custom stand and have a 40 Long below it or something? Ugh!

18. Jaysee

I'm sure some do, and some don't. Like was said earlier though, the second tank does help to stabilize it by lowering the center of gravity.

19. OP
    OP
    A

I would think having the second tank on the bottom would stabilize it better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice