Double Sponge Filter

WrenFeenix

I just got a double sponge filter as a second filter to replace the air stone in my goldfish tank. I thought it looked cool and has all the benefits of a sponge filter plus the capacity for ceramic media or carbon. Next to it is a small sponge filter for my molly fry tank.

862BC53D-83A7-4AAA-998A-8822BFBA87FE.jpeg
What are your opinions on “China” filters? Would working an air stone onto this thing improve its performance?

Related question: can ceramic media harbor denitrification bacteria (bacteria that consume nitrates)? I heard it could because of the oxygen poor environment in the center of the media.

richiep

These filters i find good i use them in my shrimp tanks but without the added bonus of the ceramic. There are claims that certain biomedia can reduce nitraits to zero but don't expect miracles, if your pump is powerful enough then try the airstone as well, you also have a better option by modifying and put a powerhead on which can also supply added air

Attachments

• IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190131_171418.jpg
    20190131_171418.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0

WrenFeenix

I added the filter during a water change. The suction cups stuck easily to the side of the tank.
It spooked my goldfish while I was installing it, causing him to ram the end of the tank hard enough to make it vibrate. He’s got one hard noggin.

972A0C92-74EA-46FC-97E7-936953415F3D.png
59D3E4EC-1CF3-45F3-AE46-D159BF4DB122.png
I think it looks pretty good! Much quieter than an air stone, too. Now, if the power ever goes out, I can just hook up my battery-powered air pump and the tank will still be fully functioning.

Upvote 0

greengoddess

WrenFeenix What's the name of the one with the ceramic? I've been diy'ing sponge filters for my tanks (a la KingOfDiy,) but continue using my hobs so I can keep my ceramic media.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I have a few of those double sponge filters but without the ceramic media. I am slowly changing them because I have an issue with the suckers. Once every 6 months or whenever without warning they fall off the glass. While that does not stop them working completely it’s not a satisfactory situation if I am away for the weekend.

I have ceramic media in box filters as a combination of choice.

Perhaps one day I will have a deep gravel bed ( 6 inches) tank ? Until then I will use water changes to remove excessive nitrates.

Upvote 0

WrenFeenix

WrenFeenix What's the name of the one with the ceramic? I've been diy'ing sponge filters for my tanks (a la KingOfDiy,) but continue using my hobs so I can keep my ceramic media.
It’s called a “double sponge filter” or “China filter”. Some versions have the media baskets, some don’t. There are also single sponge versions.
I think the specific one I got is the Weaverbird Double Sponge filter, but it didn’t come with ceramic media. There are many brands, but the filters themselves are pretty generic.

Upvote 0

WrenFeenix

I have a few of those double sponge filters but without the ceramic media. I am slowly changing them because I have an issue with the suckers. Once every 6 months or whenever without warning they fall off the glass. While that does not stop them working completely it’s not a satisfactory situation if I am away for the weekend.

I have ceramic media in box filters as a combination of choice.

Perhaps one day I will have a deep gravel bed ( 6 inches) tank ? Until then I will use water changes to remove excessive nitrates.
All suction cups usually fail eventually, but with the media in it, it’s heavy enough to sit on the bottom, and I want it close to the bottom anyway. If they ever fail, I can just prop it up against the side of the tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
OutsideFoodBlob
  • Question
65 Gallon Tank Sponge filter
Replies
Views
dMog
Replies
Views