Double or Single Outlet? Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have two 10 gal tanks with HOBs that I want to add double sponge filters to. They sit side by side. Should I get a double outlet pump or two single pumps? I also want to add another double sponge filter to my 40 gal Tall tank in another room, it also has a HOB. Do I get a double outlet for my 10 gallons and a single for my 40 gal? Do I get two double outlet pumps for all three tanks? Or do I get a single outlet for each tank? Plus what size and GPH do I get? Totally confused now.

2. thequietman44 Member Member

It depends on how much the pump costs, but in general I try to avoid sharing equipment between tanks. In case of a failure you lose that component on all tanks instead of just one. That being said, since the sponge filters will be backup it won't ruin anything if the dual air pump dies, and it might even be more efficient to run one air pump from battery backup in case of a power failure.

Air pumps also do not have a GPH rating, but you'll want to get one that's rated for the size tank you plan to put it on. I think the rating has to do with how much pressure the pump can generate as larger (deeper) tanks require more pressure for the same airflow.

Sponge filters also don't have a GPH rating per se, it has more to do with the size of the sponge and how much biological filtration it can support. One of those dual-sponge filters should be adequate for a 10g with shrimp all by itself, and with the HOB it's just helping that much more with the bio filtration.

3. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Now I'm thinking of adding an air curtain to my Guppy Tank and maybe to my 40gal Community tank. Would that make it more feasible to have a double outlet and just get an air pump for each tank? Or could a single outlet share the filter and bubbles?

4. thequietman44 Member Member

I had a bubble curtain and double sponge filter in a 36g bowfront running from a Whisper 20 air pump with gang valves and it worked okay.

Other than cost and perhaps a tiny bit of extra noise there is no disadvantage to getting a larger pump than you need, so if you're unsure maybe start with a large dual-outlet pump and see how it works. If it isn't working to share you can move it to the 40g and get the 10g tanks their own single or dual-outlet pumps.

5. dakota Member Member

If you want a quite air pump look at Fluval pumps. I"ve got 2 of them and can not hear them run in the stand at all they are the quitest pumps I have ever had and I have had many different ones. If you go to a LFS have them plug in one and listen to it great pump. Thanks

Clean Water = Happy Healthy Fish