Double filters? Question

1. Tropicalfishlover18 Initiate Member

I have a 36 gal bowfront that is always full with 'debris'. I use an Aqueon power filter 55. And I usually don't have time to hand clean it myself. Is having 2 filters the best option for me?

2. GgAcE Member Member

Lets figure out where the debris is coming from first. You shouldn't have ANY floating debris. Are you over feeding or overstocking your tank?

3. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Question do you own a common Pleco? They are poop machines!! Having a second filter is never a "Bad" idea, only too much current would be bad. Filtration can always be better!

Also, filling out your profile information such as your tanks, equipment, stock list, and most importantly water parameters will help everybody and yourself out in the long run!
    :;hi1

4. Jim Well Known Member Member

Welcome. Are you new to the hobby or new to,fishlore? What kind of fish do you have, what kind of food and how often do you feed the fish. What do you mean by "debris"? We'll help, just give us some info to work with.

5. Tropicalfishlover18 Initiate Member

No, I don't have a pleco, yes my tank is overstocked , I mean debris by poop,

I only have a 36 gal ( other 2 or 1 gal

The perimeters are

Ph 7.2
    Nitrite and Nitrate 0ppm
    Ammonia between 0ppm and 25ppm

Stock list:

1 olapine gourami
    1 blue gourami
    3 guppies
    2-3 neon tetras
    3 skirt tetras
    2 diamond tetras
    1 crawfish
    1 zebra diano
    4 upside-down cats
    3 Cory cats
    3 goldfish

6. GgAcE Member Member

Filters simply wont help. It's grossly overstocked & very unhealthy. Even if you had a strong canister, you would probably then have too much flow for your gallons - turnover rate.

2 HOBs will help reduce some of the ammonia & such due to the carbon but it certainly wont come close to all your debris.

At least rid of the gold fish.....

7. Sayba Well Known Member Member

There is nothing like looking at your tank everyday and knowing it is healthy. Even with my crayfish and snail tank being understocked I still struggle to get rid of all the poo and other .

Why not rehome some fish and have a clean up? Do you vacuum the gravel? Filters dont do much for a dirty substrate.

8. troyvsc Well Known Member Member

The gouramis would also need to go in my opinion. If you rehome those 2 along with the goldfish. Then you could up some of the numbers on the fish you do have that belong in bigger amounts.

Highly recommend using a second filter.

9. Tropicalfishlover18 Initiate Member

The setup is temporarily, try to get a 20 gal by Christmas