Double Decker Stand Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Rtessy, Oct 30, 2018.

1. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I'm planning to build a double decker stand for my 20 long and 10 gallon. It's going to be 31" long, and I'm wondering if the different tanks will make it unbalanced. I plan to put the 10 gallon on the bottom part, but will that make it unbalanced or more likely to tip?

2. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

How high? I ask because the higher you go the bigger displacement on center of balance. That being said if you brace it properly it should be completely fine. :)

3. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Thanks! I'm aiming for 18-24", so I have at least six inches to mess around with the tank below.

4. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

You’ll be good. :)

5. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I'd put the biggest tank the lowest for stability (and connect it to the wall ?)

6. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Connecting to the wall is certainly the best solution. You’re awesome! :)

7. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Is there a better way to stabilize it? I've seen one person add extra 2×4 underneath the bottom but have it sticking out an extra 1-2" so it doesn't tip forward. Securing to the wall isnr really an option for me, because I'm renting. Is there a way to do it without permanently messing up the wall, lol?

8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Got a pic of the stand ?

9. PonzLLWell Known MemberMember

You should take the double decker couch from the Lego Movie and scale it up lol

10. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Haven't made it yet, I can try to make a sketch soon

11. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ah okay.

12. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Here are my lovely artistic skills, lol. I'm going to have 8 18-24" standing ones, 2 at each part, then four sections for each base and five supports throughout both bases. 4 screws and wood glue at each intersection. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry

Attached Files:

13. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

I use Homedepot HDX wire shelving for 2 racks. 1 is 54" tall (54 x 36 x 14) with 2 20g long and a 10g on top and the other is 30" tall (30 x 24 x 13) with a 10g on the bottom and 20g tall on top. I have a 1/2" plywood sheet under all the tanks except the 10g sitting on the bottom shelf of the 30" tall shelf. The first can hold 350lbs per shelf and the 2nd can hold 450lbs total.

I don't think GA is a mecca for earthquakes so securing it to a wall isn't necessary. With the tanks full, it will take a lot of force to tip them over.

I would also highly recommend at least 8" over the tanks to work in.

14. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I use one like this one (don't look at the mess) and have some smaller ones. 0367eb6badb03b668720ab50ce17d72e.jpg

15. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

I have a few Gorilla shelves in the garage. I think the wire shelves look better and they're strong enough.

16. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Awesome thanks! And yeah, lol, only ever felt one earthquake and it didn't really even register on the Richter scale.
    But if I went with the 2×4's (thinking about maybe painting some fanciful designs, so mainly aesthetics reasons, the stands are definitely something I'll be using at some point), would I be able to put the 20 long on top or not so much? The 10gal would practically be on the ground, so would it mess up the balance that much?

17. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Paint it black, and I will buy it! Looks nice and sturdy for my future plans ;)

18. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

These are the actual ones used.
    Two spare ones in the shed (350 kg per shelf instead of 175kg for the current smaller one.)
    1c3b4b2bb9c8ebe129c5344d4066aa6c.jpg21200914ac9c34b67e153936bc816979.jpg

19. DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

On the 30" tall shelf, I have a 20g tall on top and 6" above the bottom shelf is the 10g. The 6" shelf on the bottom holds a power strip and 2 plastic shoe box containers (spare food and saltwater equipment, though I have no salt water tank)

20. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

You know I gotta ask... Why do you have saltwater equipment? And my lowest shelf may even be on the ground, so would that be okay for the 10? Granted not too much point in building the lower part if it's just resting on the ground I guess...