Double 20 Gallon Long Stand?

Guppykid101

Well Known Member
Messages
743
Reaction score
161
Points
123
Experience
3 years
Its been a long break from fishlore, had to take some time off for school, but summers come around so I'm excited to be back!

Alright, so I've been itching to do something with a 20 gallon long for ages and I think I've finally found a reason. Theres a bit of space in my new house where i originally planned to put my 29 gallon tank (that I decommissioned after a recent move). BUT, I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and delve into DIY tank stands. I've seen tank stands on the internet with a tank on top and on the bottom, and i think It'd be fun to have 2 20 long tanks! Or maybe the 29 on top and 20L on the bottom? I want the top tank to be a show tank and the bottom one to be for breeding fun, just having fun with live bearers and trying my hand at shrimp. My real appeal to the 20L though is how shallow it is and how much you can do as far ad plants go, so maybe the 20L on top and 29 on the bottom? What do you guys think, any suggestions are welcome!
 

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Messages
944
Reaction score
398
Points
88
I think that aqueon makes a stand called forge metal that allow for you to do that, without having to do all the measurement if you were to do it yourself. Look into them, they come in 5 sizes , so I think one might suit your needs. I am also considering one of them, specifically the one with the one a size smaller than what you would probably need.
 

Shellback

Valued Member
Messages
55
Reaction score
18
Points
53
Experience
1 year
I would put the 20L on the top and the 29 on the bottom. The 29 may weigh 100lbs more and you don't want your stand to be top heavy. That could be a potential disaster in the making. Hope everything works out for you. Good Luck.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Guppykid101

Well Known Member
Messages
743
Reaction score
161
Points
123
Experience
3 years
Shellback said:
I would put the 20L on the top and the 29 on the bottom. The 29 may weigh 100lbs more and you don't want your stand to be top heavy. That could be a potential disaster in the making. Hope everything works out for you. Good Luck.
Good point, thanks for this!
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,409
Reaction score
4,378
Points
458
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you stand is sturdy you shouldn't have to worry about it, a stand should maintain balance and the 29 will look nicer as a display tank because of the height.
If you are worried about it tipping adding longer feet to balance it or screwing the stand to wall mounts to prevent it from tipping will help ease that fear.
 

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,340
Points
148
Experience
1 year
Seems you have googled, or utubed stand building.

If it was me, I would build 6” wider and 6” deeper, set the 29 on top and 20L below.

Gonna build a stand for a 90 based on google video, simple.
 

KakeHugs

Well Known Member
Messages
662
Reaction score
273
Points
88
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppykid101 said:
Its been a long break from fishlore, had to take some time off for school, but summers come around so I'm excited to be back!

Alright, so I've been itching to do something with a 20 gallon long for ages and I think I've finally found a reason. Theres a bit of space in my new house where i originally planned to put my 29 gallon tank (that I decommissioned after a recent move). BUT, I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and delve into DIY tank stands. I've seen tank stands on the internet with a tank on top and on the bottom, and i think It'd be fun to have 2 20 long tanks! Or maybe the 29 on top and 20L on the bottom? I want the top tank to be a show tank and the bottom one to be for breeding fun, just having fun with live bearers and trying my hand at shrimp. My real appeal to the 20L though is how shallow it is and how much you can do as far ad plants go, so maybe the 20L on top and 29 on the bottom? What do you guys think, any suggestions are welcome!
Yooooo I have made my own stand just like your describing. It has two 20g longs, top can be used for a 29g tho. Let me pull up a photo real quick. Looks messy but its next to my desk and it's midnight lol I can take better photos tomorrow if you want to know more about it but it's 100% wood. Theres a couple screws at the elbow braces but the rest is just cutting it a certain way locking the wood in place and glued in. The stand is obviously widder than the tanks so I can fit little nick nacks on the sides. Only problem is the bottom tank is hard to use the python syphon since its so low to empty so I empty that one by hand, but it's also a fry tank that I clean everyday so it's not worth using the python on it.

full?d=1527048940.jpg


Top tank is out of service at the moment and is in the process of a make over (Hopefully ill finish it before next month ahhh)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Guppykid101

Well Known Member
Messages
743
Reaction score
161
Points
123
Experience
3 years
KakeHugs said:
Yooooo I have made my own stand just like your describing. It has two 20g longs, top can be used for a 29g tho. Let me pull up a photo real quick. Looks messy but its next to my desk and it's midnight lol I can take better photos tomorrow if you want to know more about it but it's 100% wood. Theres a couple screws at the elbow braces but the rest is just cutting it a certain way locking the wood in place and glued in. The stand is obviously widder than the tanks so I can fit little nick nacks on the sides. Only problem is the bottom tank is hard to use the python syphon since its so low to empty so I empty that one by hand, but it's also a fry tank that I clean everyday so it's not worth using the python on it.

View attachment 440462

Top tank is out of service at the moment and is in the process of a make over (Hopefully ill finish it before next month ahhh)
Nice! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

I'm glad you brought up the siphoning thing though, I never thought about that complication. Does the python just not have a very strong suction or does it not work at all? I'd need some way to do maintenance on that tank..
 

KakeHugs

Well Known Member
Messages
662
Reaction score
273
Points
88
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppykid101 said:
Nice! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

I'm glad you brought up the siphoning thing though, I never thought about that complication. Does the python just not have a very strong suction or does it not work at all? I'd need some way to do maintenance on that tank..
It will not pump at all but I have gotten it to work if I turn on the water on full blast at the sink, however then Im wasting water so Id rather just do it by hand. I can fill it up with the python of course but emptying is the only problem. I personally couldn't of made it gone much higher up for my build because of where it's at but Ive never used that tank on the bottom with substrate, just as a fry or goldfish home, so it's not a HUGE deal for me, just if I want to be lazy it's a pain lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Guppykid101

Well Known Member
Messages
743
Reaction score
161
Points
123
Experience
3 years
KakeHugs said:
It will not pump at all but I have gotten it to work if I turn on the water on full blast at the sink, however then Im wasting water so Id rather just do it by hand. I can fill it up with the python of course but emptying is the only problem. I personally couldn't of made it gone much higher up for my build because of where it's at but Ive never used that tank on the bottom with substrate, just as a fry or goldfish home, so it's not a HUGE deal for me, just if I want to be lazy it's a pain lol
Huh, well I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to go back to the old 5 gallon bucket trips, won't be so bad on a 20 gallon tank. Glad you stumbled along the thread, it'd be wonderful if you could message me tomorrow with more info on the stand!
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,409
Reaction score
4,378
Points
458
Experience
5 to 10 years
The only other way would be a shorter hose and a container lower than the tank (a pump starting python like hose would be best for this).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12

Guppykid101

Well Known Member
Messages
743
Reaction score
161
Points
123
Experience
3 years
Mcasella said:
The only other way would be a shorter hose and a container lower than the tank (a pump starting python like hose would be best for this).
Believe it or not for the first 5 years of my hobby with my 60 gallon tank, I would do weekly 20% water changes using a 5 gallon bucket! It was only last year that I got my python, so it shouldn't be too bad to do one bucket load a week haha.
 

KakeHugs

Well Known Member
Messages
662
Reaction score
273
Points
88
Experience
5 to 10 years
Guppykid101 said:
Huh, well I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to go back to the old 5 gallon bucket trips, won't be so bad on a 20 gallon tank. Glad you stumbled along the thread, it'd be wonderful if you could message me tomorrow with more info on the stand!
I used to actually have some muscles from carrying around 5 gallon buckets for my tank and ever since I got my python Im so weak I can't do anything!
Sure thing! Just remind me if I happen to go a few days forgetting to reply

Mcasella said:
The only other way would be a shorter hose and a container lower than the tank (a pump starting python like hose would be best for this).
That's what I do! I just use my mouth to start the process
 

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,340
Points
148
Experience
1 year
So in the planning stages, have the bottom tank 12-18” off of the ground. Leave enough room from the top of the bottom tank to access, maybe 12-18”.

The top tank would be 3-4’ off of the ground, perfect viewing height for the show tank.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom