Double 10/20 stand advice Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Bumblebat, Jan 9, 2013.

1. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

I'm looking in to getting an affordable double stand to hold both my 10 and 20. I don't want to build one because I just don't have the patience for it right now.
    My 20 has a lid that lifts up (Marineland,) so I feel like I would have to have my 20 on top so I could open it. I'm a little worried, though, that having the 10 on the bottom and the 20 on the top would make it too top heavy.
    I also can't seem to find one that's suitable for two different sized tanks. We have a few at work for our iso room, but no one seems to know what they are. Any suggestions? I really don't want to have to spend a lot.

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

3. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

This is a little on the tall side but would something like this work?  

5. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

That's a lot better, but it's still too tall. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

6. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

The racks are much more cost effective than buying a normal stand.

There are stands like this   I've never used one so I don't know anything about their construction quality.

7. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

I was looking at those, too, but one of the reviews said that both tanks have to be the same size.

8. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

You could get one the size for your 20 gallon, put that on bottom, then use a sheet of plywood on the top part for your 10 gallon.

9. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

I still won't be able to open the lid on my 20 if it's on the bottom.

10. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Should be able to. those stands are designed to let you do that.

11. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

It's a hinged top and it wouldn't be able to clear the space.

12. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

The pictures look like their would be enough room. Sounds like you have a very specific type of stand you're going to need. You sure you don't want to build your own?! :D

13. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

Haha, yeah, pretty sure. There are things I'd rather commit my time to and I know it'll just frustrate me.

14. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

15. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

Ooooh, there's a maybe. It fits a 29 gallon on top and a 20L on the bottom. My 10 and 20 would fit easily, and surely it would be enough weight to keep it down. I'll probably have to put something under it since it'll be going on carpet. I'll look at that one a bit more, thanks!

16. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'm sure there are different sizes of that stand as well. It's an aqueon so you should be able to get it through your LFS if you want.

17. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It won't be too top heavy. The stand will work fine with just the 20 on top - The 10 below will only stabilize it more. I would not put the 10 on top - I think it looks bad to have the bigger tank on the bottom. Like was said, put wood on the bottom so that the 10 will fit (since a 10 is usually only 10 inches wide versus 12).

The rack is a good idea, especially if you have intentions of getting more tanks.

18. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

I have more tanks and the rack is something I definitely want to do eventually, but I'm pretty limited on space and a stand is all I can manage at the moment.
    I need my side table and the top of my dresser back.

19. BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

Thanks guys, I ended up sucking it up and getting a 5 shelf unit from Home Depot. Now I have to figure out how to clear some space.

20. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure if you knew this but pictures are mandatory once you've got it set up :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice