Dosing

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Nano Tanks, Jun 23, 2016.

1. N

Nano Tanks Valued Member Member

:;hi1Hello fishlore people! I am planning a 5 gal planted tank with the following plant species rotala bonsai, micranthimum "Monte Carlo", staurogyne repens, Anubias nana, and rotala indica. I haven't decided how to dose/fertilize this aquarium. The light level is planned to be medium and I will also be running co2. I would like to save money, obviously with dry ferts but also want to stay away from a complicated dosing system that includes testing, like target dosing. If any of you geniuses could make me a dosing schedule for a week I would be super grateful! The light I'm using-  

also opinions on the light/better options are welcome ;)
    thanks!!!:;banaman

2. Anastasia Vedmedenko

Anastasia Vedmedenko New Member Member

Look for a product called Flourish Excel! You dose half a mL daily or every second day. It makes a huge difference to your tank. That LED system seems great! With the CO2 you could get away wit just using a simple CO2 kit like this one  
    I use it for two of my 10 gallons and it works perfectly. Just dose about 50mL per day, super simple. Staurogyne repens is a fantastic carpeting plant. If you cut all the tallest shoots off before plantig, it will start branching out beautifully. The rest of your plants will do great as well :)

3. OP
    OP
    N

What about micro and macro nutrients? Do you recommend flourish trace/flourish iron, potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus? if so what dose? Also For the co2 I will be using a paintball canister, the fluval 88g, the tropica system, and ones like them cost SO much for refills and both don't come with a solenoid.

4. Anastasia Vedmedenko

I honestly have had great success without any complicated dosing system. I use the seachem flourish excel daily to add carbon and the seachem flourish to add all the nutrients at once twice a week. The CO2 system doesn't have to be complicated and I really recommend trying the CO2 kit I linked you above. One container will last you two months and you won't need anything super complicated for the plants you're trying to grow. It's up to you in the end though! But all of my plants thrive with just those three products: flourish excel, flourish, and the CO2 sytsem 60. Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks! I've got my co2 system picked out but I might use the system 60 for another tank I'm planning! Also how much flourish do you use?

6. Anastasia Vedmedenko

For my 5 gallon tank, I dose a bit less than 0.5mL twice a week. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice