Dosing yeast to an aquarium?

Joshaeus

Hi everyone! Here's a curious idea...I understand that when aquarium plant leaves die or adjust to new conditions, they expel sugars and other materials from their leaves and that this can serve as a trigger for algae to colonize the affected leaves and reproduce. With that in mind, would dosing a small quantity of yeast to a tank early in its development allow those sugars to be processed more quickly and thus reduce the risk of an algae outbreak? Is this just another of my deranged ideas? Thanks

david1978

Here's some reading for you.

Experiment : Added bread yeast to my planted aquarium

Redshark1

How do you remove the yeast or do they die off and bomb the tank?

Do you add daphnia to remove the yeast? That's what I'm doing in my water butt and its yielding a great daphnia harvest!

Joshaeus

Redshark1 said:
How do you remove the yeast or do they die off and bomb the tank?

Do you add daphnia to remove the yeast? That's what I'm doing in my water butt and its yielding a great daphnia harvest!
My idea was to add a small amount of yeast (maybe .15 ml for a 5 gallon?) early in its lifetime so that a small yeast population can be present in the tank and help to break down sugars before algae can start using them.

RDcompton03

You will be playing with fire to add yeast to your tank. Once its in you have no control over its growth since you have no idea of the amount of "sugars" available in your tank for it to feed on. I had an experience years ago when i was doing homemade CO2 (sugar / yeast) injection. I had an accident that resulted in maybe a half ounce of the liquid getting into my 55 gal. planted tank. The yeast went crazy. Its the worst mess Ive ever had in a tank and took weeks to get the appearance and health of my tank back. There are other, less risky, ways to get rid of algae.

Joshaeus

OK! I will pass on the yeast then. Thanks

Top Bottom