Question Dosing meds while cycling?

GeorgieGirl1003

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
11
Location
Gainesville, FL
Experience
Just started
How long should I wait to re-dose meds for bacterial infection & parasites? How do I know the first dose worked? It’s been almost a week & I don’t see any improvement on the fins. In fact, they look slightly worse if anything. I have not seen the white stringy poop with the exception of once or twice since completing the meds. If I do need to re-dose them how long can I wait? The meds knocked out my BB & the tanks are currently recycling so the guppies are highly stressed every day as it is. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
 

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Member
Messages
509
Reaction score
552
Location
In the clouds...
Experience
2 years
Do you have a separate tank you can put them in? I usually move the fish that I'm treating a storage tub with a heater and filter (have spare ones running in my established tanks) that way I don't need to worry about crashing my cycle.

Could you put them somewhere similar to this and dose while cycling the other tank?

As for how long to wait: Follow the dosage instructions and don't stop until you've finished the round, as it can take a while to treat stuff like this. What medication are you using?
 

Gel0city

Well Known
Member
Messages
714
Reaction score
741
Experience
3 years
If you have a quarantine tank move the fish over. Depends on the medication you are using, but mainly you should stick to the instructions on the bottle and use it even after the symptoms disappear for about 2 weeks.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
G

GeorgieGirl1003

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
11
Location
Gainesville, FL
Experience
Just started
SeaMonkey06 said:
Do you have a separate tank you can put them in? I usually move the fish that I'm treating a storage tub with a heater and filter (have spare ones running in my established tanks) that way I don't need to worry about crashing my cycle.

Could you put them somewhere similar to this and dose while cycling the other tank?

As for how long to wait: Follow the dosage instructions and don't stop until you've finished the round, as it can take a while to treat stuff like this. What medication are you using?
Unfortunately at the moment I don’t. My plan was to turn the 10 gallon into a quarantine tank. I like the bucket & extra filter option though so I can keep both tanks stocked then. If you have two filters running are there any risks to over filtering or too much current? Also, how to you keep the tank covered with two filters?

I’m using API General Cure & Fin & Body. I dosed Tank 1 with a Tetra Fungus tablet also because one of the fish had white fuzzy growth appear.

Gel0city said:
If you have a quarantine tank move the fish over. Depends on the medication you are using, but mainly you should stick to the instructions on the bottle and use it even after the symptoms disappear for about 2 weeks.
So I should dose them again even while cycling tank?
 

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Member
Messages
509
Reaction score
552
Location
In the clouds...
Experience
2 years
GeorgieGirl1003 said:
Unfortunately at the moment I don’t. My plan was to turn the 10 gallon into a quarantine tank. I like the bucket & extra filter option though so I can keep both tanks stocked then. If you have two filters running are there any risks to over filtering or too much current? Also, how to you keep the tank covered with two filters?

I’m using API General Cure & Fin & Body. I dosed Tank 1 with a Tetra Fungus tablet also because one of the fish had white fuzzy growth appear.



So I should dose them again even while cycling tank?
No two filters will be fine. What do you mean? Are they HOB?

That's a tough one. Do you have any pictures?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
G

GeorgieGirl1003

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
11
Location
Gainesville, FL
Experience
Just started
Ok. They are HOB. That would just mean not being able to cover the tanks. My only fear there is if cleaning products or air freshener get in tanks.
The crushed coral seemed to stabilize the ph at 7.4-7.6 for the last two days.

Still battling ammonia spikes from cycling. Lost one more fish this morning. Ammonia is at 0 at bedtime & by morning shoots up to .25 or higher. Using Stability with every water change but still haven’t seen nitrites or nitrates show up again.

Do you mean pics of the fish? I can take a couple this afternoon.
 

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Member
Messages
509
Reaction score
552
Location
In the clouds...
Experience
2 years
GeorgieGirl1003 said:
Ok. They are HOB. That would just mean not being able to cover the tanks. My only fear there is if cleaning products or air freshener get in tanks.
The crushed coral seemed to stabilize the ph at 7.4-7.6 for the last two days.

Still battling ammonia spikes from cycling. Lost one more fish this morning. Ammonia is at 0 at bedtime & by morning shoots up to .25 or higher. Using Stability with every water change but still haven’t seen nitrites or nitrates show up again.

Do you mean pics of the fish? I can take a couple this afternoon.
Ah. That makes sense. I have a couple more wires and pipes in my QT tank and I've just tried to balance the lid on top of everything :hilarious: Sorry this isn't too helpful. It should be alright though.

Sorry about that :( How much water have you been changing, and how often?

Yes please. That'll help a lot with the illness too. :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
G

GeorgieGirl1003

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
11
Location
Gainesville, FL
Experience
Just started
Here are the two guppies whose tails are deteriorating. One is worse than the other but you can see it’s starting to happen to the other one’s tail too. Their blue color on their body is faded also. Everyone is still eating and swimming around as of now.
 

Attachments

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
272
Guests online
3,245
Total visitors
3,517

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom