Dosing antibiotics in food

Katsfish

My goldfish has Popeye with bilateral cloudiness and swelling. I believe it to be initially caused by nitrate poisoning followed by an opportunistic bacterial infection. The nitrates are now down to 0 (as are ammonia and nitrite) thanks to many water changes, which will continue regularly.

The only antibiotics I have been able to get in my country is Nifurpirinol (JBL Furanol and Sera Baktopur Direct). However the only dosing instructions are for adding directly to the tank which I am not going to do. I'm not going to crash my cycle over this and I don't have a quarantine tank big enough for the 5 day treatment.

I cannot find any resources for translating by the liter dosing to orally dosing with this particular medication, and not many for antibiotics as a whole. In online guides people seem to be adding as much as possible that will stick to the outside of a pellet. I'm planning on mixing it into repashy gel food so it doesn't wash off and get into the water column.

How dangerous is overdosing anyibiotics and how do I figure out the right dose?
 

MacZ

(JBL Furanol and Sera Baktopur Direct)
Both are not actual antibiotics but more of a specific disinfectant. They won't impair the filter microbes, so you can do the treatment in the main tank.
You could try Bactopur (least side-effects) combined with Ectopur. Do high volume waterchanges before and after.

I cannot find any resources for translating by the liter dosing to orally dosing with this particular medication, and not many for antibiotics as a whole. In online guides people seem to be adding as much as possible that will stick to the outside of a pellet. I'm planning on mixing it into repashy gel food so it doesn't wash off and get into the water column.

How dangerous is overdosing anyibiotics and how do I figure out the right dose?
Spare yourself and the fish that. These meds are not designed for internal use and you will kill the intestinal microbes that way.
 

Katsfish

Hi

Perhaps you are thinking of a different medication? They both contain Nifurpirinol as their only active ingredient. This is an antibiotic in the Nitrofurane class, effective against most gram positive and gram negative bacteria. The packaging explicitly states that they will have catastrophic effects on the beneficial filter bacteria, and other sources confirm this.

If any meds are in the water they will certainly make their way into the intestinal tract, as the fish is constantly taking in water... I'm not sure I understand your point about intestinal microflora?

I've been advised that giving antibiotics orally is far more effective against internal infections. Given the infection is inside the eyes it seems highly unlikely that any disinfectant would work which is why I bought this kind of medicine.

I understand that the instructions on the packaging are for water treatment but I've been told by other fishkeepers that I can soak food in any antibiotics. If you have any prior experience with this, or any sources that prove this to be dangerous, I would appreciate a link, I do not want to put my fish in danger.
 

MacZ

I overlooked the "direct" on Bactopur. The manufacturer sells the "direct" version only outside the EU, so we only have the version without the actual antibiotic here. I'm confused though that the JBL product is generally still on sale, they have taken all meds out from their assortment.

If any meds are in the water they will certainly make their way into the intestinal tract, as the fish is constantly taking in water... I'm not sure I understand your point about intestinal microflora?
The point is, that when feeding it the intestines get a much higher concentration directly than if it is ingested with the water.

I've been advised that giving antibiotics orally is far more effective against internal infections. Given the infection is inside the eyes it seems highly unlikely that any disinfectant would work which is why I bought this kind of medicine.
Pop-eye is, just as dropsy, actually a symptome with different possible reasons. Are you absolutely sure beyond any doubt, that it's a bacterial infection and not a sideeffect of impaired osmoregulation or kidney problems?
Antibiotics should be the absolute last resort and when it comes down to one affected fish I'm inclined to rather put it down at one point than using antibiotics (which I could only get with a prescription and costs that would buy me another tank including all devices and stocking). The side-effects on the whole tank system are in my opinion not worth it, although it has still not been proven whether Nifurpirinol really affects the microbes in the filter significantly.

My experience with antibiotics is from the 90s when I bred fish (rift lake cichlids) regularly. We used them only rarely and only if we had a whole tank (or several tanks) of affected fish. We would usually still lose 10-20% of the fish nonetheless, as most antibiotics are hard on the fishes system. This is why I would not feed the stuff under any circumstances.

So all in all... Personally I would not use antibiotics at all nor recommend it. You might try this though: There is also the possibility to use a bath (5-10 minutes) of higher concentrations at around 2mg/l instead of 0.1-0.2 mg/l suspended in the whole tank.
 

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
35
Views
12K
Sarcasm Included
Replies
13
Views
242
WatermelonDestruction
Replies
118
Views
6K
poeticinjustices
Replies
26
Views
2K
pearle
Replies
9
Views
10K
alink

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom