Dosage Help

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rose,

This will probably cause you to : and I wouldn't blame you. I can be a bit of a perfectionist sometimes, I know.

I was comfortable with what the pharmacist said and gave me today but now I'm not. I just want to run this by you to make sure...

I'm using AmQuel as you know (not the + yet). Because I so overdosed with the stuff due to the markered out and changed directions, I've dove into overkill here to be sure that I'm using only and exactly what I need to use.

I recalled you mentioning that you use a syringe so I asked the pharmacist for one today.

I want to be sure this is the right syringe to use.

It says "Tuberculin" at the top of it but that's probably a brand name. It has 2 sets of numbers going down the sides.

1 set goes from the M to 16. The other set goes from .1 to 1.0 cc.

The pharmacist said that ml and cc were the same. Is this true?

Using AmQuel that calls for 1 teas. per 10 gallons...

Would you tell me first if I have the right syringe (hard to tell without looking at it maybe?) and also tell me please if I have this right...

5 ml for 10 gallons
2 1/2 ml for 5 gallons
1 3/4 ml for 2 1/2 gallons

In the syringe I used the string of numbers that go from M to 16 and measured up "2" to add to my 2 gallons. That's just a tiny bit over the 1 3/4 ml that I need so thought that would be ok. There are times when the smell of clorine from the tap is much stronger than at other times so the tiny bit extra will cover those times when they extra dose the water with clorine I thought.

I'm wondering though if I used the right string of numbers. Should I have used the .1 to 1.0 cc string instead??

Thank you for enduring my anal-retentiveness.

(((You)))

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your only question I know the answer to is: yes, a cc equals a ml. They are both the volume of a cubic centimeter.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
0morrokh is correct, 1 ml = 1 cc.  And, I think your syringe should be okay to use.  If you question it, try loading the syringe with 5 ml of water and see if that fills 1 tsp.  If so, your syringe should be accurate enough. 

As for the amounts:

5 ml per 10 gallons (5 ml = 1 tsp = 5 cc)
2.5 ml per 5 gallons
1.25 ml per 2 1/2 gallons

Going from one measuring unit to another equivalent measuring unit can be confusing.  Along with the aquarium calculator on the <a href=" Fishlore.com</a> site, there are a lot of sites that help with those calculations.  One thing I've just discovered about the Google toolbar (free download) is that, if you type the measuring unit you are looking for it's equivalent of in the search window and press Enter, it will return the answer to you.  For example, if you are trying to find out how many ccs are in 7 mls, just type 7 ml in cc into the search window and hit Enter, it will return 7 ml = 7 cc.

While Aqua Plus and Stress Coat do allow for more liberal use of the product for elevating slime coating on the fish (in other words, instead of 5 ml for 10 gallons of water, it is okay to use up to 10 ml for 10 gallons), no such thing is noted on the Amquel+ container that I have here.  That may be because the Amquel+ also neutralizes ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.  IDK about Amquel.  So, unless otherwise directed, I'd try to stick to the 5 ml per 10 gallon scheme.

Mike

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
TY Mike and 0morrokh. Very appreciated.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, almost, you see the dosage for 2.5 gallons is 1/4 teaspoon and that is 1.25 cc or one whole syringe on the side of 0 to 1.0 and another 1/4 syringe. If you are only using a tiny amount in the syringe then you are not getting enough to treat your water. Use one FULL syringe and to the 0.25 on the second syringe full. Otherwise it is 1/4 tsp and you can get a small measuring spoon set if that would be easier.

The tuberculin syringe is a dual purpose syringe used to do tuberculin tests OR do skin testing. The scale of M to 16 is something that has nothing to do with ml. or cc. it is a unit of measure that is hard to convert so i suggested the insulin syringe as it is marked in UNITS that are 1/100th of a cc or ml. Each full syringe (1.0 cc) is 1/5 of a teaspoon. When you were using Prime, the amounts were so tiny that it was too hard to break down to a small tank but now if you are going to use Amquel and Amquel+ the easier way to do it would be the 1/4 teaspoon, I believe.

I do not know if I made a lick of sense, I am totally distracted today but consider the source if I am loopy. Hope it helps some.

Rose

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rose

WOW. It's a good thing I was using Spring Water when I only put 1/4 teas. of AmQuel in (I know that Spring doesn't need it but used it because...well you don't want a conspiracy theory here...). It would have been tragic, omg!

You made perfect sense. My mom says "KISS" to me and I think that's what you're saying too. Stands for...Keep It Simple Stupid

TY!

AesSedai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok, can't resist sharing the 'conspiracy' concerning bottled water.

I saw a news program quite awhile ago.  They were investigating bottled water (in gallon jugs kind).  Namely they focused on the machines you find outside of grocery stores where you put in your jug and a quarter and get filtered water. 

It was discovered that the machine was hooked up to regular tap water that wasn't filtered at all.

And then there's this response I can imagine easily..."Why yes, that's Spring Water.  You see our water from the tap comes from a spring not far from here..."

And that **** too.  There's deception out there, to be sure.  I think I'll treat all water just in case.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I only bought the kind that was sealed and filled at a processing plant and yes I treated mine too as I thought that they needed the aloe. StressCoat in the summer.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom