Dorsal Fin Rot!

1. zechocolate Member Member

My Arowana of almost 2 years is experiencing some health issues. Recently I noticed a small hole forming in the center of one of the segments of his dorsal fin. As days passed it began expanding outward, vertically, in both directions. Now there are about 6 or 7 holes on his dorsal/bottom fin. His front fins(hands lol) are showing some black discoloration at the tips. He also seems to be swimming a bit slanted, as well as acting a bit jolty and nervous but apart from that he eats fine and swims around normally. I do not believe stray voltage is causing this issue because the other 5 fish in the tank are fine. Does anyone have an idea of what can solve this dorsal fin rot?

I do not think it is lateral line erosion because he never has any holes or sores on his body, apart from when he smashes his head on the glass.

2. Salazar Member Member

ok. first things first, seperate your fish, and do a 25-50% water change. try and treat the fin rot with stress coat, but if that doesnt work (i do NOT reccomend this; its a last resort) use a fin rot treatment product found at most fish stoes. the water perameters could also cause it.
    :;juan

3. zechocolate Member Member

As simple as you made that sound - I'm not separating my 20inch Arowana into another tank; he's still eating fine everyday. I use melafix/pimafix and I soak their pellets in melafix, it seems to be helping.

4. Salazar Member Member

oh. i have never heard of that. i hope it works and your fish gets better! and, could you test the water parameters?