Dormant Fin Rot in Betta?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by happyfins14, Jul 27, 2015.

1. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Hey everybody!

I own two betta fish; a halfmoon named Dan the Man and a giant veiltail named Mushu. I've had Mushu for three years now and Dan the Man for about four months. They've lived in a divided 5 gallon together for about two months now. When I put Dan the Man in, he had a few rips in his tail. It didn't have the brown edging of fin rot, so I thought he just nipped it a few times. I put some aquarium salt in, it healed right up, I forgot about it. Problem solved, right? NOT!

He got more rips in his tail and top fin. (Dorsal fin? Or is that only dolphins?) And Mushu got two of those fuzzy bluish whitish spots that indicate fin rot. He's had them for about six weeks now but his fins haven't been eaten away at all so far. Dan hasn't gotten any worse either. I've been taking out 25% of the water once a week, rinsing out the cartridge once a week, and replacing it once a month. Should I increase it to two tank cleanings a day? I don't want to quarantine either of them because I only have one 1/2 gallon bowl. Plus they both do very badly after just a few days in that thing, and don't seem to get any better. Right now they're completely fine. Dan's rips aren't getting any worse and are nothing close to body rot. Mushu seems great too. So I plan on just keeping an eye on both of them. The fin rot seems dormant, so should I just add aquarium salt on my next water change, or keep doing what I'm doing? I routinely add API tap water conditioner and API stress coat. Not sure if I should do anything more.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

:;hi1

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You have any pics of the bluish white spots? Stop with the aquarium salt, it might be doing more harm than good. What are your water stats?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    h

That's not my fish, but that's what the spots look like. I'll stop with the salt. I don't have a water testing kit, so I don't know the water stats, but I do have plenty of live anacharis and I cleaned the tank yesterday.

4. OP
    OP
    h

I know it's not ich I used to have a betta that died from it and this isn't it. It's not really spots more like two streaks

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Bettas are very prone to fin rot. My betta had another bout of fin rot a couple weeks ago he's still recovering from actually. I had to up the water changes to twice a week. He's in a 2.5 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    h

Yeah Dan the Man had SBD and fin rot when I got him but I cured him completely his fins were perfect then he got fin rot again in the big tank with Mushu. I'm sure they'll be fine as long as I change the water twice a week :)

7. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hey there! :)

One thing I noticed about your first post is that you said you were changing the filter cartridge monthly, which you shouldn't be doing, as you're losing your beneficial bacteria when you throw out the old filter cartridge. Just swishing the filter media around in a bucket of old tank water whenever it gets really yucky will do.

I'd recommend buying a liquid test kit, such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Can the bettas see each other through the divider? Is there anything sharp in the tank that they could injure themselves on?

8. OP
    OP
    h

Hi BTWB! There are two layers of cartridges in the filter, if that makes any sense. The fish guy from a LFS told me to keep both in the filter at the same time. So I only replace one a month. Should I just not throw them both out?

I'm planning to buy that same test kit as soon as I get a chance :) I've been wanting it for a while and will definitely need it once I set up my 20 gal.

The divider is made of this plastic black mesh sort of stuff, so it has holes for water flow. They can see each other, and for the first few days they just stared at each other but now they are acting like they did when they were apart. I don't think seeing the other stresses them out, but I could be wrong.

My decor is:

A small cave with a turtle on top. When I got it I checked for sharp edges but found nothing except for a little sticky-outy part that I sanded until it didn't exist. This is on Mushu's side.

A medium silk plant on Mushu's side.

A bunch of anacharis on both sides.

Two smooth river rocks on Mushu's side.
    Betta leaf hammock
    thermometer

On Dan's side:

Anacharis
    A small plant that's not silk but made of that soft hair like stuff.
    A green plastic plant but the tips of the leaves are rounded and kinda thick so he can't hurt himself.
    And the filter. The heater's on Mushu's side.

So I don't think anything on that list could hurt them........

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice