Dormant BB on Dry Filter Media?

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I recently read a thread about BB in a bottle. Somebody speculated that the BB in a bottle is dormant and that is how it remains viable in a bottle. It made me wonder if BB could remain dormant and viable on old filter media.

My speculation is also based on a cycle experiment I conducted. I was trying to experiment with zero seed material. I used an old filter that had been out of use and dry for more than a month. Maybe several months. I assumed that it would have no viable seed BB. But now I wonder if it might have had some dormant BB. The experiment went much faster than I expected and I wonder if that could have been due to dormant BB on old filter media.

Is this possible? Is this how starter BB in a bottle works?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Never used BB in a bottle but did u do water parameter tests with your dried up media after you added it to a filter and got water running through it? I think I may have seen the thread on here u were referring to but not positive. Also just an assumption but the BB in the bottle may be fed once the seal is broken and the ammonia is released into the bottle to feed it like when fish are shipped some say to add a drop of Prime to the bag cause the fish are producing waste and when the bag is cut open the air entering the bag causes a spike... I could be so far off and wrong but I thought I read something about that as well... curious to know what you come up with.

BeardedTetra

Reaction score
I certainly won't claI'm to know the details of BB mortality, but I believe that much of what is accepted largely as fact by hobbyists is based on speculation.

For example, I, along with many others, rinse filter media in tap water without problems.

I've read that cycled media can be kept alive by refrigeration. I've also read that without the continuous flow of water through it, that the BB quickly dies off.

Cycled media is available online, it spends a few days in shipping (no refrigeration, no water flow), and many claI'm that it has worked for them.

There is so much contradictory information out there and there are likely numerous variables that come into play. So, it is impossible to know what works for you until you try it.

OP
Sorg67

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, so many variables that anybody's specific experience is purely anecdotal. Interesting nonetheless. It makes sense to me that bacteria would have many survival mechanisms.

BeardedTetra

Reaction score
Sorg67 said:
Yes, so many variables that anybody's specific experience is purely anecdotal. Interesting nonetheless. It makes sense to me that bacteria would have many survival mechanisms.
Agreed.

I don't believe that they are as frail as they are commonly portrayed to be.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorg67 said:
I recently read a thread about BB in a bottle. Somebody speculated that the BB in a bottle is dormant and that is how it remains viable in a bottle. It made me wonder if BB could remain dormant and viable on old filter media.

My speculation is also based on a cycle experiment I conducted. I was trying to experiment with zero seed material. I used an old filter that had been out of use and dry for more than a month. Maybe several months. I assumed that it would have no viable seed BB. But now I wonder if it might have had some dormant BB. The experiment went much faster than I expected and I wonder if that could have been due to dormant BB on old filter media.

Is this possible? Is this how starter BB in a bottle works?
Nitrifying Bacteria dies when it dries out. If old filter media is dry, the bacteria is dead, not dormant.

New Threads