Dorm Room Tank Question

1. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

I'm going off to college in September and my dorm allows a 5 gallon tank. I have everything I need already and plan on getting 4-6 Indostomus crocodilus. These fish need live food, I bought a cone worm feeder for them and will be getting the food from a LFS. The tank will be moderately planted with low-medium light plants. I have the light already, and it will be on a timer.

My question is, what do I do during breaks? Do I really have to bag up and lug my fish home with me, acclimate them yadda yadda yadda for 3 weeks then go back? (its a 2.5 hour drive) The toothpick fish seem a little fragile to be doing this with, then again it's no more fair I do this to a betta either.

What do your guys do during winter break and other 2+ week breaks?

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

What kind of tank is it? I would be tempted to drain half the water, get a battery operated pump to run a air-stone, and take the whole thing home.

Can you even find Indostomus crocodilus? If so, I'd get those. If you can't take the whole tank home, load the it up with live food and hope for the best when you are on break.

3. OP
    OP
    Nympxzie

Wet Spot actually has 5 in right now! So tempted to buy, but I'll have no where to put them X(

It's a regular 5.5 gallon aqueon tank. I'm not sure how the worm cone works til I get it and take a look at it but if I fill it with worms it might work well as a vacation feeder.

4. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

I have to agree with BD. If you can carry a tank half filled you should be alright.

Having such a fragile fish in that kind of setup is something I would not do. College is a great place and it is easy to get distracted and forget for a few days.

Taking them home raises the issue of PH difference. You don't want to keep stressing out these fish that I have never heard of before. (which is not often) Going more with a community tank and less fragile fish is the better idea.

I can see a shrimp tank or a betta tank being a better bet and just packing it up during the breaks.

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

That sucks. They won't hold them either. I've tried that with them before.

6. OP
    OP
    Nympxzie

A shrimp tank was my former idea since I could probably leave for a month an not have to worry about them, but these fish just interest me so much :O

I think worse comes to worse and I'll do a shrimp tank or a fish that can take a little more of a beating and just get the crocodile toothpicks later on.

7. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

That is probably the best idea.