Don't use zebra stone in your planted tank! (unless you want brackish water)

Greetings from Canada. So a couple of weeks back I was gifted this beautiful looking dark rock with small white veins.......looked perfect for my planned iwagumi aquascape. I decided that I had better do the acid test (a few drops of API nitrate bottle #1) and wouldn't you know it, it fizzed and bubbled like crazy, indicating that these rocks would raise the PH. But since I struggle to keep a stable PH in my little nano tank (I have to put crushed coral in the filter), I though maybe these rocks would raise the ph to a tolerable level. So I put them into a small bucket with some water from our rain barrel. Pic #1 is the ph before adding the rocks. As expected, rain water is very soft and has a low ph. This was 4 days ago. Today I decided to test the water for the 1st time after letting the zebra stone sit in the water. Pic t#2 shows the results. Ph is sky-high and will probably continue to rise. As great as these rocks look, I think I'll stick with the dragon stone that I have and not deal with the high ph. Just thought I would share in case anyone else is looking to use zebra-stone. BeforeRock.jpgAfterzebrarock.jpg

Solution
I did some searching and found that there is another rock called zebra that is formed with flint and limestone, I would guess that's what you ended up with as limestone certainly can increase a tanks pH.

I have a few in my African build, unique contrast.
Today I learned something and I thank you for sharing.
Can you include a picture of your "zebra stone"? I think it's possible that the name describes different rocks depending on where you're from. I'm in Washington state, here the zebra stone name is given to a rock that is usually smooth (like a rounded river rock) and made up of silicate quartz and Chalcedony (SiO2). I don't think this form of the rock would dissolve at room temperature, or affect pH. I believe most silicates to be pH neutral at around 7.4. Maybe I'm way off though.

Did you test your found rock for reactivity?

Good call.........I'm just taking the word from the landscape friend you gave me the rocks. He said these were bits from much bigger landscaping boulders. Here's a pic of what they call zebra-stone here in southern Ontario (Canada). zebra.jpg

Seiryu stone, known for sometimes raising ph.
It would be great if that was seiryu stone but this came from a landscape yard and they had huge boulders of this stuff. They said it's called zebra stone. Raising ph to over 9 from 6 is a pretty huge jump imo!!
I could probably use it in a larger tank with frequent water changes but I like the dragon-stone as well and it just seems easier to contend with...........just read an interesting thread about someone who measured the effect of seiryu stone on his 60p tank and he concluded that the rise in ph and other water parameters were manageable as long as you monitored them on a daily basis.

That is a cool looking rock, a bit different than what I have seen by that name but sort of similar. I did some searching and found that there is another rock called zebra that is formed with flint and limestone, I would guess that's what you ended up with as limestone certainly can increase a tanks pH.

Depending on the make up of your limestone the pH that it will stabilize at may vary but once that pH is reached it will usually settle and stay there. Looks like it would be a good rock to put in a lake Tanganyika tank :)

I did some searching and found that there is another rock called zebra that is formed with flint and limestone, I would guess that's what you ended up with as limestone certainly can increase a tanks pH.

I have a few in my African build, unique contrast.

Solution

Latest threads

Top Bottom