Don't understand the nitrogen cycle

Timberwolf222

Reaction score
I have never cycled a tank (though never lost a fish to nitrates or anything) but I thought I would try with a new 10 gallon witha fishless cycle but when I first read it it was 0 nirates, 0 nirites, 0 ammonia, and now it's like 4 or 5 days later (I forget) and it's still 0/0/0. What does this mean? it doesn't seem right

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Timberwolf222 said:
I have never cycled a tank (though never lost a fish to nitrates or anything) but I thought I would try with a new 10 gallon witha fishless cycle but when I first read it it was 0 nirates, 0 nirites, 0 ammonia, and now it's like 4 or 5 days later (I forget) and it's still 0/0/0. What does this mean? it doesn't seem right
When doing a fishless cycle you have to add the ammonia. The fish add it when doing a fish in cycle.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What fishless process are you using? Are you putting ammonia in the tank? What kind? How much? Are you using any bottled bacteria? Have you seeded it with anything from a cycled tank? What are you using to test the water parameters?

OP
T

Timberwolf222

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
When doing a fishless cycle you have to add the ammonia. The fish add it when doing a fish in cycle.
I put in some food, which was suggested in a thing I read. it was a shrimp pellet thing

GouramisAreSuperior said:
Put in API quick start
I put in some bacteria stuff I got, off brand tho

Sorg67 said:
What fishless process are you using? Are you putting ammonia in the tank? What kind? How much? Are you using any bottled bacteria? Have you seeded it with anything from a cycled tank? What are you using to test the water parameters?
I put in some bacteria stuff I got, and I put in some food that the thing I read said would decompose and start releasing ammonia

readistart nitrifying bacteria starter (it's topfin brand, so not actually off brand I guess)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are still reading zero ammonia after 4 days then I don't think the food you added is producing any. Your cycle can't even get started without some ammonia. If at all possible you may want to consider getting Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride or even household ammonia. If you go with H.A. make sure it is pure ammonia.

Adding fish food isn't the best route to take. It is next to impossible to control the amount of ammonia. Do you already have another cycled tank? If so some media from that tank will seed this cycle better than any of the many bottled bacteria's on the market.

OP
T

Timberwolf222

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
If you are still reading zero ammonia after 4 days then I don't think the food you added is producing any. Your cycle can't even get started without some ammonia. If at all possible you may want to consider getting Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride or even household ammonia. If you go with H.A. make sure it is pure ammonia.

Adding fish food isn't the best route to take. It is next to impossible to control the amount of ammonia. Do you already have another cycled tank? If so some media from that tank will seed this cycle better than any of the many bottled bacteria's on the market.
I dunno, like I said, never really tested my other tanks

OP
T

Timberwolf222

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
A tank with fish in it will eventually cycle whether we are checking it or not. How long has your other tank(s) been up and running with fish in them?
The oldest is like half a year old

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Timberwolf222 said:
The oldest is like half a year old
If it has fish in it and you don't get an ammonia reading then it most likely is cycled. The more you can tell us about your tanks the easier it will be for us to help you. We can help you cycle this tank but we need to know what you are adding or not adding. If we can determine if the other tank is cycled we can help you use something from that tank to cycle this one.

What size is the other tank? How many fish are in it? Without more information we are just shooting in the dark hoping to hit something.

OP
T

Timberwolf222

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
If it has fish in it and you don't get an ammonia reading then it most likely is cycled. The more you can tell us about your tanks the easier it will be for us to help you. We can help you cycle this tank but we need to know what you are adding or not adding. If we can determine if the other tank is cycled we can help you use something from that tank to cycle this one.

What size is the other tank? How many fish are in it? Without more information we are just shooting in the dark hoping to hit something.
Eh, I'll probably just do "fish in" or what i've been doing, which apparently has been working. thanks tho

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Timberwolf222 said:
Eh, I'll probably just do "fish in" or what i've been doing, which apparently has been working. thanks tho
It sounds like you have been very successful with your other tanks. :) Fish in cycling is frowned upon by some folks but personally I have no problem with it. As long as water changes are done to protect the fish they should come through the cycling process healthy. Since you already have a cycled tank you can just move some media from it over to this tank to help jump start it.

I run extra media in my cycled tanks for times just like this. I can pull that seeded media out and in most cases instantly cycle another tank. You may be able to do the same thing. :)

New Threads